Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make weapons from bones  (Read 727 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Make weapons from bones
« on: April 21, 2009, 02:27:09 pm »

I made a race, and I want them to seige you with weapons made from bone. Is this possible? Also, they are playable, so they should also be able to make weapons from bone in fortress mode.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Make weapons from bones
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 03:11:14 pm »

I think that the closests you can get to this is by modding in a new type of metal and calling it bone and giving it the various tags for weapon use.

The only problem with this is that other civs may try using this new bone metal. Try putting the [MINOR_METAL] tag on the entity and see what happens.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:25:54 am »

I seem to remember that if you add the [RANGED:CROSSBOW:?] tag to something then it can be made out of bone at the bowyers shop. Just make sure to set the ammo type to blowgun or make a new type so that you don't have dwarves running around firing bolts from their swords. The one side effect of this is that creatures wielding those weapons will never spar.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:34:44 am »

I seem to remember that if you add the [RANGED:CROSSBOW:?] tag to something then it can be made out of bone at the bowyers shop. Just make sure to set the ammo type to blowgun or make a new type so that you don't have dwarves running around firing bolts from their swords. The one side effect of this is that creatures wielding those weapons will never spar.

They will also only pick them up when you assign them as crossbowdwarves.

Much easier to use smelter reactions. The seigers will not use them, but in fortress mode you can make them.

Bone weapons will only do 50% damage, btw.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:36:26 am »

You can remove the RANGED tag again once the weapons have been made, though, and then they'll function as normal melee weapons.

But yeah, this will probably be easier to achieve with the next version's material system.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 02:05:54 pm »

[RANGED:SWORD:...] also works.  CROSSBOW only tells it to use the crossbow skill.  SWORD would tell it to use the sword skill.