Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Newbie's Journey  (Read 1475 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
A Newbie's Journey
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:35:38 pm »

Hi there everyone, I'm new, been reading a bit and finally decided to try the game, this is my second fortress(I abondend my first, no magma pipe :( ) just started and well, I'll let the picture speak for me :

Needless to say I have heard some of the horror stories surrounding giant eagles, elephants, carp, unicorns etc.

Never the less I have decided to press on, more events as they follow.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: A Newbie's Journey
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:05:36 pm »

Let's see what happens.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:19:10 pm »

I give you two seasons or atleast a few hours of playing untill you saw, "fuck that! I'm picking another site!"
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 01:42:39 pm »

Step 1: Dig into the mountain. Designate meeting zone ('i') inside.
Step 2: Move supplies inside.
Step 3: Seal yourself off.

The alternative:

Step 1: Get killed by skeletal giant eagle.

Good luck and have Fun!
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:26:51 am »

Unless you have about 50 marksmen you have no hope of taking out that eagle before half your population are converted to gore. But eeeeehhhh, we'll see.

RUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUN NEVER EVER COME BACK! YOU FOOOOOOOOOOOL!
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 08:18:11 am »

Ignore the nay-sayers.

Just dig in a little bit, Then pick 2 useless dorfs, draft 'em and let them 'wrassle' until they hit champion.

then station them outside.

Call them 'Hans' and 'Frans'
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 10:10:24 am »

The autobiorgraphy of the Glorious Demonic Spoon

I've never been good with dates. Umm, let's go with...the first of granite?
They called me mad, bah, we'll see who's mad when they're burning in red hot dragon fire! Muhahaha*cough*ha! Ah, where was I? Ah yes, that is more of a lang term plan, right now I have to survive after fleeing the angry mobs at my Mountianhome...did they really need all that alchohol?

Ignoring rumours of horrible winged horrors the size of Armok's beard I decided on a promising area that scrying revealed to be rich in magma... Throwing together a group of six expendable meat shields valuable and skilled dwarves we set off, seeking the ruin of the mountainhomes.

A undetermined amount of time later...
We have arrived, the description didn't do it justice, this place is glorious! Huge mountains, wonderfully decorated with what seems to be red paint and some sort of fossils, no giant winged horrors in sight, hah! Those cretins that head the exploration parties probably saw a sparrow!

(p.s. how do I see the date, the name of the area etc. etc. after embarking?)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:26:54 am by Demonic Spoon »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 10:21:45 am »

'z' is for the stat screen.  That tells the date and stuff.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 10:27:17 am »

Thank ye very much  ;D

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 11:24:10 am »

The Autobiography of the Glorious Demonic Spoon

3rd of granite 201

...the screams still echo in my head...or maybe that's jsut because they are still screaming in the slaughter out there...
I write this as I cowardly hide within the little space I've managed to carve out of the cliff face heroically direct my comrades movements from a secure location.

It struck suddenly without warning...a huge winged...mostrosity...
It attacked our engraves, our mason, and worst of all, our brewer!

Fortunately it everyone remained relatively unscathed until one of our heroic dogs engaged it, giving everyone a chance to dash for the relative safety of a hole in the cliff face.

I take heart, for the horrible beast can be wounded!

Alas, poor Stray Dog, you shall be missed:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:29:56 am by Demonic Spoon »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 08:30:08 am »

22nd Hematite, 201

We have recovered well after the giant eagle attack, though the memory of those two noble stray dogs will remain forever in our memory. We are currently completely sealed ourselves off from the outside world, and good riddance I say. At the moment we survive on a diet consisting of: raw plump helmets, cooked plump helmets, plump helmet booze and cooked plump helmet booze. While some of my lackies grumble about the lack of diversity, especially that self-styled 'expedition leader' I pointed out that they could go outside and risk giant eagle attacks if they wanted some variety. This silenced their grumbling most effectively

More events as they unfold.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:49:20 am by Demonic Spoon »

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 03:47:36 pm »

I like your writing. It's pretty darn good.  :D

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 09:20:00 am »

Thank you, i try my best  ;D

Date unknown (I lose track easily okay?)

Hah those so called 'merchants' and 'liasoin' have another thing coming if they think I'm letting them into our snug little fortress for even a moment. I know a trap when I see it. All this talk of 'peace' and 'trading', bah! If  only our magma flooding device was operational yet... but that is still far off. Meanwhile the saboteurs outside are being attacked by the skeletal eagle, which my woodcutter tells me is female... I don't know what's more the disturbing. the fact that a bunch of bones somehow has a gender or the fact that my woodcutter knows what it is...

1st Obsidian, 201, Late Winter

I haven't updated ina while, we have been busy expanding very nicely. Our magma forges are almost up, we have plenty of food and booze, personal rooms for everyone(yes even the lackies, can't have them mutining against me). And a office for the useless clerk so I can accurately know how many riches I have. Our engraver died a few weeks(months?) ago because she was apparently too weak fomr a light injury in her hand to get herself anything to drink... Moronic imbecile, good to have that out of the gene pool. Aparrently the dwarves were upset when (s?)he didn't receive a coffin. I gave them aall public beatings. This was possible because I am superdwarvenly tough(obviously). SUPERDWARVENLY I TELL YOU! MUHAHAHA!! Ahem, as I was saying, public beatings etc. Too bad our prisons aren't finished yet.

I will write more later... possibly

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 11:27:48 am »

Little help? My Giant Eagle seems to be frozen :(