Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I think I'm overlooking something (attempt to get silk in magma pipes)  (Read 695 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Awhile back I made an entry for fire spiders.  Since then, I have not come across them in-game.  I tried making one using a reaction almost exactly like one I had used to make vermin GCS (all I had changed was the creature referred to), but then I got "boiling leather" which suggests that either the creature is vulnerable to itself or the game thinks it doesn't exist.  Here's the raw file for it, called quest_goblin.txt:

Code: [Select]
quest_goblin

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:SPIDER_FIRE]
[NAME:fire spider:fire spiders:fire spider]
[TILE:249][COLOR:4:0:1]
[MODVALUE:5]
[VERMIN_GROUNDER][FREQUENCY:100][VERMIN_HATEABLE]
[SMALL_REMAINS]
[FIREIMMUNE][IMMOLATE][MAGMA_VISION]
[EXTRACT:fire spider venom:7:0:0]
[EXTRACT_VALUE:20][NATURAL][PET_EXOTIC][PETVALUE:10]
[EXTRACT_STUN_INTERMITTENT]
[EXTRACT_ANTIDOTE:cave spider antivenin:7:0:0:50]
[VERMIN_BITE:10:bitten:USE_EXTRACT]
[PET_EXOTIC]
[WEBBER][WEBIMMUNE][PARALYZEIMMUNE][SILK_IGNITE_POINT:10100]
[SPEED:2900]
[GENPOWER:4]
[BLOODTYPE:M][CHITIN]
[CARNIVORE]
[NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
[PREFSTRING:adorable behavior]
[EXTRAVISION][NOBREATHE][NOSTUN][NONAUSEA]
[NOSTUCKINS][SEVERONBREAKS][NOSKULL][NOBONES][NOTHOUGHT]
[NOSMELLYROT]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA]
[FIXED_TEMP:10100]
[BOILING_POINT:40000][EXTRACT_BOILING_POINT:40000][SILK_BOILING_POINT:40000]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:250:500]

I know I must be overlooking something, but I can't for the life of me think what.  Oh, and fire spider silk is not available for order and no pre-generated silk is ever on-site.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

I would try starting with vanilla magma vermin like fire snakes and working your way from there.  For starts, fire snakes have FIXED_TEMP:14000.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Hm.  Tried that and generated a new world, still getting no fire spiders on magma and boiling silk when trying to make them.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does making fire snakes via reaction work?  I've never tried the vermin smelter thing.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Does making fire snakes via reaction work?  I've never tried the vermin smelter thing.
Yeah, I just tried that and it worked.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try cranking their silk ignite point up to 14000 too, maybe?  If that doesn't help, I dunno, you'll probably just have to start with a fire snake and add/replace tags a few at a time to figure out what's wrong.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If they're spawning in a magma pipe, [SWIMS_INNATE] and [SWIM_SPEED:2500] might be needed to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the pipe, and falling off the bottom z-level of the map.

You might need to bump the [FIXED_TEMP] to 14000, along with the silk.  Although that might set your dorfs on fire ;)

I'm not sure if [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA] will make them count as cave creatures, so they may not be useable by dorfs unless you edit the entry in "entity_default.txt".

Just some thoughts, good luck with this.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.