Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Threshold-based room quality  (Read 1321 times)

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Threshold-based room quality
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:09:11 am »

Spoiler: Optional flavor text (click to show/hide)

As it stands right now, a room lacking in one aspect can make up for it by excelling in another. I propose that to be a certain quality, a room must meet a minimum requirement in all aspects of value, not just an arbitrary net value.

For example:

Meager quarters - Bed.
Modest quarters - Bed, chest, 3x2.
Quarters - Bed, chest, cabinet, 3x3, no overlap with other rooms.
Decent Quarters - Bed, 2 chests, cabinet, 4x4, smoothed, all furniture well-made or better, no overlap.
...etc
...etc
Royal Bedroom - Bed, 10 chests, 5 cabinets, 10x10, smoothed, engraved, all furniture masterwork or artifact, no overlap.

These numbers are just examples, it could be anything.

"But Walliard," I hear you saying, "won't this mean more trips to the wiki every time a noble shows up to determine their exact needs?" Not so. For I also suggest that the holdings screen allow one to +/- through the rooms to get a list of exactly what is needed for the room. This would end up being more newbie-friendly overall, since they would know exactly what constitutes "Fine Dining Room" without having to smooth, engrave, and throw in as much good furniture as possible and hope for the best.

You'll also notice I've rolled the chest/cabinet requirements into this system. That's not necessary, as it would take away some decorative freedom, but I thought I'd throw that out there. Maybe individual dwarves could have their own preferences on where to place their auxiliary furnishings.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
Re: Threshold-based room quality
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 11:38:41 am »

I have mixed feelings on this.

On the one hand, it does prevent people from exploiting the system by just dumping some artifacts in a small room and calling it the "royal bedroom"

On the other hand, nobles already DO require X number of chests and Y number of armor racks, so that mechanic is somewhat in place already...
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:45:47 pm »

Let personality factors play a bigger role. Countess Godentirist likes armor stands, so she'll be pleased more with armor stands (artifact versions included) than other furniture. The count consort, on the other hand, doesn't care about the furniture type but wants it to be tin. At least that'll give you a better chance to put all those mandates to good use.

Apart from that subjective * value metric, I would require only functionality (at least one of each) and a certain quality level (eg. masterwork for the king & legendary artisans, exceptional for consort and advisor, superior for count, countess, etc.)
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 02:04:32 pm »

Rather then use descriptive qualities like "4x4 Engraved" or "3 chests" perhaps the rooms value in constitute categories should be required to reach numerical thresholds such as 50 points in space, 75 points in furniture etc etc.  I've also long felt that 'Space' meaning the raw about of empty volume in the room should be a separate value from 'Surfaces' which is the value resulting from the floor and wall quality.

Your overall direction is good, I just think this needs a bit of refinement
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:34:09 pm »

You might find some interest in this post I made a while back.

Has no relevance to needing furniture, but it makes the value calculation make sense.  There's a link a few posts up to an Excel sheet I made.

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:18:45 pm »

I think it should be added on top of the already existing system.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 04:11:22 am »

I like it.

Draco: Nice idea, fully support that or some variant of that as well.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 05:33:57 pm »

I like it.

Draco: Nice idea, fully support that or some variant of that as well.

Thanks.  The only way to brake my formula is if you use a very expensive artifact furniture in the room.  Which is hard enough to come by anyway.

But then.

It is an artifact.