Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what's with my manager?  (Read 885 times)

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
what's with my manager?
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:38:00 am »

When I started playing this game I found that the manager is a big time saver (u then m) but once I got some migrants, it stops validating my commands. :( What do I do?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:53:19 am by Slayer »
Derp.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: manager
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:45:11 am »

umm the manager ingame is one of your dwarfs. he needs an office to do so.
check the "n" screen.

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what's with my manager?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:46:29 am »

A woodcutter seems to hold all positions...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:53:29 am by Slayer »
Derp.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: manager
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:46:46 am »

After a fortress population of 20, the manager menu requires that a a manager administrator dwarf actually verfiy the order. This can take a while if the dwarf in the admin slot for "manager" is the mayor or another very busy dwarf.

I just learned to process all orders through the individual workshops and set the list of stuff I want them to do, and set them on repeat to avoid the delay the manager does.

The verification of the tasks in the manager screen actually generate an actual task your "City Manager" has to do. Thats usually your mayor at first.

The best bet is to assign a single guy with few labors enabled and a personality tag for intellectual pursuits and make him your manager. He should have nothing better to do then to validate your orders in his office.

He gets the "Organizer" skill for doing this.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:48:04 am »

build him an office with a chair (and maybe a table) in it and give it to him. He will use this office to assign orders.

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:58:36 am »

I dug out a small room, put a chair and a table in it, assigned the guy to it, but he is nowhere to be seen, should I turn off all of his labors?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:54:02 am by Slayer »
Derp.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:01:11 am »

if he is busy he will give the other jobs priority probably. also you need to assign the room from the chair, not the table (that would make it a dining room after all :P )
I usually have my "mayor/broker/manager" character only do jobs like mining which can easily be turned off temprorarily if he needs to trade/issue manager orders.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:36:19 am »

Manage Jobs is a low priority. I make my manager a worthless supervisor so he does his job in a timely fashion.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 11:37:50 am »

He was on break, -.- lazy bum, anyway, got him to validate my work, should I also build a room for my sheriff?
EDIT: Thanks a lot for all your help guys. :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:54:33 am by Slayer »
Derp.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 11:49:22 am »

the sheriff actually requires quite a bit of rooms, especially after the promotion of captain to the guard.
in the n screen just press enter on the noble to see what they require. If they lack something the it will look like this REQUIRE. Yellow means has what he/she needs but the room values aren't high enough or doesn't have enough items of a kind.

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 01:08:03 pm »

Manage Jobs is a low priority. I make my manager a worthless supervisor so he does his job in a timely fashion.
Yeah, I learned this the hard way after a long, long time. Now My Hordemaster/Metropolis Manager has no tasks other than updating stockpile records and approving work orders. It also makes him available for meetings- which I learned can bring everything grinding to a halt if the dwarf who is supposed to conduct the meeting just keeps working on other tasks.
DF version 0.34.05 Lazy Newb Pack

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 03:59:19 pm »

There are several positions that only require a "meager office" - the manager is one, and bookkeeper is another.  All you need for a meager office is a chair - reserving one in the dining hall keeps them social while performing their duties, takes no extra digging or space, and has a better chance of low-travel distance.

Later, actual, separate offices/rooms may be required, but to start... yeah.  And rotating diff dorfs thru those positions is a good way to get easy stats.

One reserved chair ftw.