Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Color Coding on the Stocks Page  (Read 1305 times)

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Color Coding on the Stocks Page
« on: October 03, 2006, 01:02:00 pm »

Currently, as far as I am aware, there is red highlighting for items which are outside.

It would be nice if there was 2 color indicators - one for things outside, and one for things my dwarves cannot use directly, like narrow leather boots, large caps, etc, etc.

I'm constantly discovering bins and such where some dwarf has gone and picked up the clothing from some dead goblin/kobold/human/etc and stashed em away.  It'd be really nice if there was an indicator on the stocks page when I had this stuff, and could flag it, snag it, and chasm/melt the crud I dont want.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Color Coding on the Stocks Page
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 03:51:00 pm »

I thought red was for unreachable things?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 06:40:00 pm »

Sometimes there are uses, though.  Dwarves won't use daggers, but they make great fodder for weapon traps.  Bows are less great, since you can't make arrows to reload them...

Maybe there should be a 'scrap clothes to rags' option, which you could use to turn unusable clothing into rags that could then be stitched into quiltwork cloth or whatever?  Badly-worn clothes could also be reduced to rags, although of course there would be less salvageable material than was originally put in.  And clothing made out of quiltwork rags wouldn't be worth so much, but would be better than nothing...

[ October 03, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 10:00:00 pm »

Red means that it is in the inventory of a creature that is not one of your dwarves. When the dwarven traders come by, all their equipment is shown on the stocks screen in red. When you shoot a dragon and an arrow gets stuck in it's arm, the arrow shows up in red.

Grey items are ones that have been "imported" and do not count towards the total fortress wealth. Basically anything that was brought in from traders, immigrants, foreign armies.. etc.

Now what I would like to see is some indication on the stock screen that shows which items are being used in a job, which items are the property of a dwarf, and which items are in someone's inventory.
You can tell property information by viewing each item but it's kind of a hassle. You can find if they are in someone's inventory by zooming to the item, but this takes you out of the stocks screen and you lose your place. And there's really no easy way to find out if the item is being used in a job. :\

[ October 03, 2006: Message edited by: GauHelldragon ]

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 10:26:00 am »

Yeah, I noticed the worn gear on other characters last night showing up.

I've got a couple items just sitting on my road which show up in red too.   No idea why (and they were what I was basing my concept of the "outside" items on).

I know that non-usable items have their uses (metal objects can be melted, weapons can be used in traps, cloth+leather stuff can be traded), but its not actually WEARABLE by my dwarves.   I want to be able to look at the stocks page, knowing that I have 200 dwarves, be able to tell if I have enough boots (for instance) for them.   Right now, I have to open the individual item list, and look through the ENTIRE thing, making sure nobody collected something off a dead visitor.

Red being objects that I cannot reach is dandy (I'd rather have gear on other creatures not even show up at all, really)... but I'd really like to know what in my stockpile is actually gear for my dwarves, without having to sift through it all.