Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SoulsAnvil - Surviving through hapiness.  (Read 563 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SoulsAnvil - Surviving through hapiness.
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:01:14 pm »

This is the story of SoulsAnvil, a small fort on the changing point between a desert and a barren mountain range made of clay. Sent here to carve out a lodge for traders to rest before journeying across the desert to a similair checkpoint made by dwarves of another mountain home. It's an easy life here, but after reading a history of a human city called Rome, the gruff leader, Lorbam Shadehalls, firmly believes that the greatest challenge to face is happiness.

Dwarves up for claim: Domas the metalsmith, female.
Sibrek the woodworker, male.
Udib the miner, female.
Udil the miner, male.
Logem the farmer, male.
Morul the farmer, male.

Log of Lorbam.
It's the 24th of Hematite, the dawn of the summer. I wish we had some hematite. Orcs and goblins and elves.. with two new towers full of the greenskin filth, there's five civilizations that wish us destroyed. We'll need hardy warriors and strong metals. All we've got is a bit of copper we brought along.. a bunch of clay we fired in the wood furnace.. and a lot of lignite and coal. Struck into carving out a place to store all those useless clay blocks the masons made. Clay, clay, everywhere. We got a hole for water and a small reservoir, just under the depot. Got a small farm, plenty of rock nut and plump helmet. Things are going too good. Have to make 'em a bit miserable, keep 'em on their toes. I'll see what I can manage inbetween burnin more coal and lignite. We'll have enough o' this to fire a whole mountain o' clay. Thank Stalkob for the plague that killed all o' the iron miners back in the mountainhomes. Weren' for that, we wouldn' had to invent a way to make weapons and armor out o' clay to fight the orcs with. Hah! That was a fun one to watch.. recruits slaughtered by the dozens as they stabbed the iron-clad orcs with little clay swords. Best get back to work. We got our basics, time to start stockpilin and gettin me and Domas in some copper and clay gear. I'm thinkin' fondly of a nice good hammer, and Domas wants a mace.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoulsAnvil - Surviving through hapiness.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 06:07:25 pm »

Log of Lorbam.

A whole month has it bee. Only things done since then is we harvested some quarry bush, finally cleaned up the stockpiles and stored away all the coke and charcoal and fired clay. Aaaand... the miners inform me we just struck limonite. Also, the surveyor's chart indicates obsidian is enough of an abundance that we can freely use it for non-economical means. Obsidian usually means magma. I'm not one for hoping.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:32:33 pm »

Sorry. Discontinued due to epic system failure. Lightning storm destroyed my whole computer.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 07:10:01 am »

Ouch. My sympathies.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!