Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving, instead of rewalling.  (Read 1814 times)

Fenek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engraving, instead of rewalling.
« on: October 02, 2006, 06:24:00 am »

When reading dorf topic on PA forums, it struck me. Why not allow to engrave ore veins and gems? Alot of players seem (including me) seem to be irritated by lack of this option. How many times, when your miners while happily mining your perfect-planned rooms, struck metal or gems? Personnaly I'm furious when that happens :P

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving, instead of rewalling.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 08:11:00 am »

I think both engraving ore and rewalling should be possible, sometimes you just need to rewall something.

But we really, really need the ability to engrave ore, it's messing up my whole layout.  :( It's a minor detail that is incredibly annoying imo.

Fenek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 08:49:00 am »

Well, rewalling is nice-to-see option, but according to some people, it's major shock for game engine, so it'll be some time before we'll se it ingame. Before that time, engraving ore (and gems) is a must-have  ;)

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 09:56:00 am »

Stockpiles and item list sorting. Get your priorities straight.

Engraving is an asthetic yet (relatively) simple enhancement. Rewalling is a complex structural (in code and in game) feature implementation.

I'd consider engraving ore under the bloat category, the others under unimplemented features.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 02:40:00 pm »

Ore and gems already offer a comparable happiness/quality boost to rooms as engraving.

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 02:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zurai:
<STRONG>Ore and gems already offer a comparable happiness/quality boost to rooms as engraving.</STRONG>

To me, that's really not the point. What matters to me is that ore veins break the nice lines you get from smoothed walls. I crave visual perfection of my fortress, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

DimmurWyrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 03:53:00 pm »

Doesn't re-walling already exist in the cave-in code??? It sure seems to put new walls where empty floor was before anyway hehe.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 01:16:00 am »

what i'm more interested in.. is whether it'll be possible to engrave roads/pillars.

of course that might mean making stone blocks would possibly get a bit pointless

Fenek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 07:35:00 am »

I know there are more important things for Toady to do, but as someone have already said it's relatively simple task. And yes, it's only for sights  :D

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »

Its not only for cosmetic purposes.

You can't put fortifications in without detailing the wall first.

My defensive coridor in my current fortress is currently only about 60% efficient, because of a ore vein that happened to coincide with where I wanted it to go.

The nice smooth wall look is nice, but I'd really like to put my defenses where I wanted them...

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 06:20:00 pm »

I'd like to see engraving on mineral deposits, I'm also a neat-freak who gets frustrated at veins in his nice dungeon, I mean fortress...

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 04:42:00 am »

I'm also a rather heavy neatfreak - but personally - a rewalling function stands higher than a ore-engraving feature since I've had many cases already where I sincerely wish I could rebuild or rewall some section for any number of reasons.

mausmausmausmaus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://mausmausmausmaus.com
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 08:09:00 pm »

Re-walling would be cool as an option to build walls outdoors, as well. You could make walls out of stone blocks, metal bars or wood.

It would be super-cool if you could (rarely) attract the odd non-dwarf to live in your fortress with these external buildings. It'd be cool to have an elite elven hunter or gatherer or whatnot working for you.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 05:27:00 am »

Or, better yet:  ENTOMB THE OUTDOORS!  Outdoor areas are unnatural, undwarven!  Some people have resorted to lava or paving to deal with them, but really, is that going to be enough?  I suggest we drag stone out of the depths of the earth, and use it to cover the surface of the earth, until the entire world is just one big mountain.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

MikeWulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 12:50:00 am »

I have to agree with this. What would be nice is to extract the ore from the wall without cutting the chunk out. Also, deletable channels already!