Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One Way Doors  (Read 959 times)

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
One Way Doors
« on: October 01, 2006, 05:56:00 am »

As an option on door states, I think it would be useful to set the direction of a door to one way (wasdx) so that a room could be cleared.

Use: Clearing a room, set all doors facing -out- and prevent dwarves from entering. Useful for clearing bridges before raising/retracting or farms before flooding.

Use: Setting up a more efficient flow system for moving in/out the dungeon.

The 'one wayness' is a dwarf option that animals and other monsters would tend to ignore. Also, dwarves on a rampage would probably ignore them as well.

However, I think one way doors could be really beneficial. I couldn't find any similar topics on the forum/core/bloats pages.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: One Way Doors
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 06:07:00 am »

A great idea since you could establish directional traffic flow (this corridor goes this way... That one goes that way. No more F!ing cats in my corridors blocking my dwarfs)  but it might have issues with "path not found" announcements.  :(
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 12:27:00 pm »

Yeah, I've considered this before, and it's got a lot of associated difficulties.  The actual algorithm would survive it with some minor changes, but the current "section 1", "section 2" numbers that I use to separate sections of the fortress for optimization wouldn't work any more, unless it kept some kind of table of which ones could go to which ones...  it would take a bit of work.  The sections could probably still be generated quickly, since it would first calculate out the sections treating one-way doors as walls and then just check all the one-way doors and see if they join any of the areas together and enter the direction into the table.  The table also might be quite large, and it needs very very speedy lookup.  All possible, but lots of little issues, and probably more on top of this.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 01:40:00 pm »

Ok, well thanks for considering it Toady!