Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gnome Fortress:A Saga of Fail (Yes, yet another community fortress)[CANCELED]  (Read 4559 times)

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
Re: Gnome Fortress:A Saga of Fail (Yes, yet another community fortress)
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 08:38:19 pm »

((To Mznundifund: Sorry, but as I was going to name you, I realized that I was the last dwarf filling the seventh spot. Sorry about that. If you want, I'll give you an immigrant though. ))

Heh, I'm not offended.  Good luck with the madness!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 08:40:37 pm »

Sorry, but I was unable to tell from the embark, and had already given everyone their jobs when I saw that. Not much I can do about it though.
Its okay. What equipment do i have?

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 08:47:43 pm »

You doubled up on Tnnnnnnggg's profile screenshot and left out ADHD's.

Edit: Actually, maybe you just couldn't get ADHD to sit still for a picture, which would be quite appropriate.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 08:54:26 pm by mjo625 »

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 08:53:33 pm »

Damn it! You see, this is why this is a saga of FAIL.

Org, your character, despite having full pints in ambush, didn't start out with anything, so I'm actually trying to give him the hammer I got at embark.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 09:07:57 pm »

6th of Granite, Early Spring, 201:

I've ordered we dig deeper to find the necessary Eldrium, key component in the process of smelting the metals that have made our race the undoubted rulers of technology, Tungsten and Aluminum. The digging is being done as I speak, and I hope to-

(Diary cuts off at this point)

"Sir!" The female gnome who insisted on calling herself Ed was shouting up the staircases they had just dug but a day ago. "Sir, we found something!" Kat's heart leaped. Perhaps it was Eldrium? Or magma, that was necessary regardless of what race you were, the gnomes had yet to find a suitable heat source for smelter operations. Or a gem that was not geminite for once?

"What is it?!" The gnome responded down the staircase, dropping the bed he was lugging and letting ADHD take over. The girl said nothing, simply beckoned for him to follow. He did, and the moment he got down, his mouth dropped...

23rd of Granite, Early-Summer, 201:

Well... this changes plans somewhat. I had wanted to have a nice, orderly shaft leading directly through our fortress but now... this chasm changes everything. I ordered my miners to stop digging the shaft and focus on finding the magma pool we calculated to be somewhere in this mountain. We need water for crops, and quickly.

Ed, my more experienced miner, took care of this, while I had Grimes mine out a new shaft toe the east of the chasm for our bedrooms to be sourced. To my pleasure, we have hit the Eldrium deposit, far ahead of schedule as well.

From my sketch, you can also see the rough position of a decently sized copper vein running through this layer, and a crystal deposit. I would have preferred iron, but regardless, beggars cant be choosers, as the elven adage goes. Pah, look at me using elven adages. Beggars truly can't be choosers, even with their words.

Sans context.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 09:48:21 pm »

wow. that personality is perfect, except for the 'she' part. oh well!

Nice updates, I can tell this will be an epic story.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 07:22:15 am »

((Thanks))

17th of Felsite, Late Spring, 201:

My musings aside, we've managed to carve a poor, if not decent, hole into the ground which we can name as home. From the extremely detailed (54 pages, to be precise) memo the Duchess's assistant gave to me before my trip, I know that Dwarves tend to arrive around early-autumn, and tend to be one of the first to trade in a newly established area. Ergo, I have ordered a Trade Depot to be built.

We have yet to find the magma, but this is not so worrying, as we still have plenty of food, thanks to the actions of Smeagol. Every day, she has been taking Ed's hammer out, and always returns with the corpse of a goat, or squirrel. I didn't even know squirrels could exist this far north, but I'm still grateful for the meat! I was even able to sketch Smeagol in action, it's quite a show:

I sense that Smeagol will grow to be an important member of the community one day.

4th of Hermite, Early Summer, 201:

ADHD lives up to his nickname quite effectively. He keeps running back and forth, a wild look in his eye, doing this job or that. He made a decent carpenter, I am pleased to note, but it is quite annoying when your trying to work on a table, then he suddenly pops out of nowhere, screaming that he can "do it better", and ends up building a shoddy table.

But I have methods of keeping that from happening...

The same problem turned up when I gave Tnnnnnngggg and Diesalot new jobs, given that their skills were unnecessary due to the fact that we lacked farm able ground, I ordered them to cut the geminites that were practically everywhere into better form, then slap them onto some crude crafts and sell them of the traders! I wonder why no one has ever thought of that before...

Needless to say, ADHD turned up here again. And needless to say, I had to implement some bans again.

Sans context.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 07:30:09 am »

18th of Hematite, Early Summer, 201:

Despite his perpetual hyperness, ADHD has proven a useful candidate for everything none of us want to do. He finished the Trade Depot I had been planning for some time, as for some odd reason, traders insist on having one of these around before they will dare to come near your fortress. They say it has something to do with 'shelter from the elements'. I doubt that.

In other words, Tnnnnnngggg has cut the gems and Diesalot has made the crafts. I'm sure they can get those gems on the crafts before long.

5th Galena, Late Summer, 201:

While recording today's inventory, I was surprised to note the extreme amount of slacking off that my miners, Ed and Grimes, have been up to. They complain that they are unable to find their equipment, despite the fact that they know they left it in the exploratory magma tunnels!

Ultimately, I learn that people kept taking the picks off to the weapons pile I had issued by the fortress entrance. I removed the pile, and things got back to normal.

On a side note, I am becoming increasingly harried by our farmers to find that magma pool, however the Duchess's notes only give a vague definition of where the pool is presumed to be. Furthermore, it seems that the pool will most likely be found deep underground, which means getting it to melt the ice only found at the surface will be a hassle, to say the least...

Sans context.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 07:36:38 am »

26th Galena, Late Summer, 201:

I have finally lost my already limited patience with the magma finding efforts. The animals that Smeagol are bringing in are becoming less and less adequate to supply our food source. I will keep the efforts to find magma up, but I dont expect do find it within a reasonable time frame.

But there is one other way to derive water from ice... It is an experimental procedure, developed by Dwarves living north of the Glacial Line, and while is is fraught with risk and is unlikely to work, it is still in my interest to try, lest we starve to death up here in the north.

"THE PLAN", as I have coded it, has been put into effect.

1st Limestone, Early Autumn, 201:

The first day of autumn has come, though we are so far north, we are unable to discern any physical difference, other than the fact that it just got colder, which only irritates my kin to a degree.

We caught a Cave Swallow man in our traps, though how this is possible, given the distance between our traps and the chasm, I may never know. I need to run an experiment on that, but I simply haven't the time.

All work I do is going towards "THE PLAN". I hope to have it done by winter.

Sans context.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 07:44:40 am »

Is there no river?

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 07:50:58 am »

((Nope, none. I hope to get the water BEFORE we die, for obvious reasons.))

Sans context.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 08:08:24 am »

((NOTE:I'm going to be gone on a trip for spring break, and I seem to have screwed up my save file on the file depot by playing past it, so no updates for a week or two. Sorry!))

Sans context.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 11:03:13 am »

wow. that personality is perfect,

Yeah, mine too. I love that ADHD is always tense and jittery.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile

Sorry guys, but a new found interest in my old Starcraft games coupled with the upcoming release of a major update to my mod has mad me decide to give up on this fortress. That, and upgrading my modded version accidentally made me lose my game file. I WILL make another in the future, but consider this one on hold for good.

Sans context.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile

NOOOO!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]