Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Elf smashing - I need a hand  (Read 1338 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Elf smashing - I need a hand
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 09:41:18 am »

You people are all crazy. I love this place.

Anywho, my idea consists of a set of bridges connected somehow (I'll figure it out later) built really high up, with a ramp for trader access. I'll stick a depot on the end and wait. When the elves get up there, pull the lever. Elves fall a long way and I'll get stuff to loot. Although, I might go with the depressed trap hole idea as a backup.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 10:03:22 am »

Sounds like a good plan, but be careful, they don't always go melancholy. But even if they do go beserk or babbling wrecks, it's still very funny to watch elves kick each other off and spasm about inside the pit before the drop, and for that visual image you're welcome.

Also in my recent test, i noted that lava mist can be created by causing cave-ins on lava (and it works all the way down if its a magma pipe) Also, it flings a random magma/lava tile into the surrounding area. With many cave ins on specially made lava pits, one can make a very powerful trap ( one that burns people with lava mist and makes lava/magma tiles burning peoples feet ) combined with coal underneath grates,  it would be a deadly trap that would kill all who enter ( especially annoying nobles/elves ), with a few adaptions, the elves and their precious "Wood and cloth" will go up in smoke, and so will anything else you want to die nearby heheh.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:37:27 pm by Nerserus »
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 12:50:54 pm »

d
PP  DDDDD 
PP  DDDDD
PP  DDDDDF Pressurized Water
PP  DDDDD
PP  DDDDD
         d

P = Pit
D = Depot
d = Door
F = Floodgate

Once they finish unloading their stuff, lower the floodgate, the water washes the elves into the pit, but should leave their stuff still in the depot. Be sure to make your depot out of soap, to send the message that you're washing away elven filth.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 12:54:20 pm »

d
PP  DDDDD 
PP  DDDDD
PP  DDDDDF Pressurized Water
PP  DDDDD
PP  DDDDD
         d

P = Pit
D = Depot
d = Door
F = Floodgate

Once they finish unloading their stuff, lower the floodgate, the water washes the elves into the pit, but should leave their stuff still in the depot. Be sure to make your depot out of soap, to send the message that you're washing away elven filth.
This would be entertaining, but I haven't found the underground river yet, and there's no other water source on the map.

However, I've some some native aluminium and I'm sure there's magma around here...  ;D

dabbling builder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 01:09:51 pm »

you guys are thinking too much about the elves going down.

my idea is just to drop a block of stone on their head
after trying this this afternoon it worked surprisingly well, with only the trade depot being destroyed, but not the blocks i used to build it and even the caged cougar the elves brought survived.

more or less the idea is dig out a block several Z-levels high and the same size

basic plan here:

OOOOOOOO
OXXXXXXXO
OXDDDDDXO
OXDDDDDXO
OXDDDDDXO
OXDDDDDXO
OXDDDDDXO
OXXXXXXXO
OOOOOOOO

channel out all the X's and dig out the O's and leave the D's in place, repeat this as many Z levels as you can and the top of the block dig out the whole level and channel the same spots. be sure to leave one last channeled part unchanneled until the elves come along.
when they do they block will drop and crush them, their pack animals and you depot, but not destroy anything you just need to dig the corpses out, and make sure you leave at least one bit of wall to support the block.

the resulting block will just be the block moved down one Z-level, completely intact

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 01:12:58 pm »

Fun, but too easy. I want complex. I need an excuse to use up all this stone hanging around. I was also considering using them as catapult target practice. How possible is this?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 01:16:28 pm »

Not.

Catapults fire very far away

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 01:17:30 pm »

Not.

Catapults fire very far away
I was thinking I could tie them up somewhere and built a few catapults on the other side of the map. Then wait.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 01:20:25 pm »

Why not make a tower of epic proportions and place the depot at the top, then have a support at the bottom, have the lever connected to the support also be connected to the supports holding the base of the tower above a pool of magma: Wait for the elves, pull the lever, and have fun!
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 01:23:27 pm »

Why not make a tower of epic proportions and place the depot at the top, then have a support at the bottom, have the lever connected to the support also be connected to the supports holding the base of the tower above a pool of magma: Wait for the elves, pull the lever, and have fun!
That would be so much fun. It'd take freaking ages though, but it'd be worth it. Now then, where's that damn magma...
Pages: 1 [2]