Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controlling edge spawns and effects  (Read 466 times)

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Controlling edge spawns and effects
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:28:36 am »

I am about to start on a map to build my fortress, but was wondering a couple things.  First, let me explain the layout.

It is a 3 vertical by 5 horizontal area comprised of 3 biomes.  The western edge (1x3 squares) is a mirthful freshwater lake.  The top half of the remaining section is mirthful shrubland, and the bottom half is wilderness broadleaf.  Along the 3 eastern edge tiles is a brook that runs south to north.

The first question I have is about preventing things from spawning along certain edges.  If I build a channel along the southern and eastern edges, this should be enough to stop merchants, animals, and invaders from spawning there I assume?  Is there another solution without impacting the features of the land as much?  I've read that merchants require a 3 wide area to spawn, is the same true for invaders and animals?

The second reason for this post concerns what effects limiting the spawn areas would have on wildlife.  If I were to cut off the southern and eastern edges, would this completely prevent wilderness creatures from spawning, or would they now spawn along the northern edge?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Controlling edge spawns and effects
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:13:45 am »

Know that you cannot channel or build constructions directly on the map edge, so there would be a one-tile area for wildlife to spawn. You could just channel every other square and it would stop traders from spawning there.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:38:45 am »

So wildlife definitely does spawn at the very edge of the map and not one square in?  Damn.

Mainly I'd like to be able to wall in a section of both the brook and the lake, for access during sieges.  I can do that, but it would require making my fort cut the map in half essentially, and having to do the defense for both sides.  Been trying to find a location like this but where the river/brook meets the lake, but after a good bit of time looking, this was the best I could get.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 03:52:24 pm »

Actually you can build bridges right up to the edge.

I dunno if retracting them works right but if there aren't any such issues they ought to block an area from being spawnable- or on the other hand they could crash the game, who knows?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.