Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun ways to catch a GCS  (Read 1365 times)

moosejuice

• Bay Watcher
  • It ate Urist...WHOLE
    • View Profile
Fun ways to catch a GCS
« on: April 10, 2009, 12:49:54 am »

So I have this giant Cave spider, and I'm wondering how i should catch it. If you have any fun suggestions feel free to say them!

p.s. I'm new here.
Its very similar to Gravity.

The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity...

cjet79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun ways to catch a GCS
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 12:53:08 am »

I havn't personally tried this but I saw it suggested in another thread about catching a cyclops.

You use a miner to dig to the spider one z-level down.  Build cage traps then have an expendable person dig a ramp underneath the spider...all goes well the person runs the spider chases and gets caught in the cage.

I'm not sure if giant cave spider's can be caught in cages though you might want to find out about that unless you want to experience premature fun.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 03:46:17 am »

giant cave spiders can be caught in cages.They are used for silk farming as giant cave spider silk is exremely expencive and clothes made from it are more expencive.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

CloisteredSyrups

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 05:22:15 am »

I read somewhere that there are multiple ways to set up the actual farming process once you've caught the spider itself... what all can you do once you've snatched it? I haven't been brave (or bored) enough to try yet.

p.s. I am also new here, but my lurking has been mighty. 8)
Wolves tore off my adventurer's limbs, and you are reminded of pokemon?

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:07:10 am »

Put it in a block of fortifications with a triggerable wall (Bridge) between it and a bait animal and a large room. It won't be able to eat the animal, but it will be able to shoot webbing.
##B***
S#B*D*
##B***
S spider
# fortification
B drawbridge, raising -> or <-
* GCS silk
D chained bait animal.

I've seen it work great, and as for catching the bugger, do the same, but replace the fortifications with cage traps and make a path from the pit/chasm it's in to the bait. Psobily with somemore bait at intervals to draw it in.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:22:43 am »

You need a path to the animal or the spider won't shoot.  You can trick it with a door set to close tightly as the spider will path through it but not open because it's an animal.  Also dwarves will be scared of the spider so best they don't see it when they collect.

I've used this setup:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It is a FPS drain though with the spider pathing through the door.

Edit: updated
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:46:32 am by Shakma »

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 09:15:56 am »

I've used this setup:

Code: [Select]
+wwwww
+w+O+w
++rOSw
+w+ODw
+w+^+w
wwwwww

Code tags are your friend.(I still can't tell what you're trying to do there, though)

Alternately, using Courier font will help you line everything up without having to check multiple times or copy it into Notepad(which uses another fixed-width font)
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 09:41:23 am »

Spider can path to the chained racoon through the door and around the open ground at the bottom but won't move there because the door is in the way and won't destroy the door if it is set to closed tightly.  It will shoot webs at the racoon that will pass through the gap behind the racoon into any open space to the left.  Dwarves can collect but won't run away because they won't see the spider behind the walls.  Just don't let military near there or some dumb recruit will run and open the door and then the fun starts.  Not like that happened to me or anything though.

I've done it before with clothing industry set up around an open area to the left and it worked great.  Well for a while.

Edit:  you could probably use a fortification instead of a gap behind the racoon to prevent military mishaps.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:43:00 am by Shakma »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 10:58:47 am »

Wait for a dungeon master so you can tame it, and then feed it racoons and kobold thieves.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 11:20:19 am »

You cant tame a wild animal who has killed a dwarf,you also cant feed a tamed animal other tamed animals.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 04:23:58 pm »

is there a way so that the cages mechanism wont fly to some door and jam it open? cause it always seems to happen.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 04:46:16 pm »

From what I've heard, taming the GCS will make it harder to extract silk since you'll need an actively hostile target instead of a wild animal. I've never tried myself, though, so I could be wrong.

As for jamming doors with the mechanism, just make certain the cage is far from any doors. It's not like space is at a premium here.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels