Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress on Macbook: +- fix?  (Read 7716 times)

cheesedwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress on Macbook: +- fix?
« on: April 04, 2009, 06:41:03 am »

So, after a massive readup I finally started my first fortress. However, when buying stuff and skills the game wouldn't recognize my macbook's (second newest model, the all-white or all-black one) plus and minus keyes.

I can't find a way to rebind these keys in the key binding menu. I've searched the forums and googled my ass of but to no avail.

Any ideas? It feels like a matter as simple as this can't be unfixable? I'd rather not go buy a clumpsy USB keyboard.

Thanks in advance for every input.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress on Macbook: +- fix?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 06:47:44 am »

You could get a separate keypad or look for the little Fn button that has the alternate bindings for keys.
Or you could buy a proper laptop instead of something made by those smug aesthetes at apple.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 06:57:06 am »

(Running DF on Linux through WINE so dunno if right for Mac )

The key seem to be move secondary selection up and down. I can re-bind it through k then selecting which key I want to bind it to then selecting s when done binding. Haven't had any problem with binding though.

cheesedwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 07:10:56 am »

It actually works perfekt with Fn + '? / +' key and Fn + ': ; _' key.

I wonder how I've managed to not discover this before. Hopefully this thread will be of some help to someone.

Thanks

Seth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 09:47:47 am »

they are also rebindable, named something like secondary selector.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 11:03:52 am »

the lack of keypad doesn't even compete with lack of graphics processor of any type.
My eternal bane...

9tails

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 01:42:54 pm »

I rebound 'Move Secondary Selector' and 'Page Secondary Selector' to [, ], Shift-[, and Shift-] on my MacBook and it works great.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 05:49:24 pm »

It actually works perfekt with Fn + '? / +' key and Fn + ': ; _' key.

I wonder how I've managed to not discover this before. Hopefully this thread will be of some help to someone.

Thanks

Newer Macs took out the embedded numeric keypad which the above tip uses. I don't know why...

But, for anyone that uses a 10-key often, this is a pretty sweet item to keep in your bag. Uses bluetooth and works as a regular (if simple) calculator.

Zaius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 07:18:56 pm »

My main issue with m macbook [other than crashing whenever i go fullscreen] is that, for some reason, it wont remember any of my rebound keys.

It works for the duration of the game, but i have to rebind every single time i boot up the game. My solution thus far has been to run the game under bootcamp, though if i can fix this issue i can use OSX and the better CPU management that it has.

Any idea why this is happening?

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 05:50:21 pm »

It works for the duration of the game, but i have to rebind every single time i boot up the game. My solution thus far has been to run the game under bootcamp, though if i can fix this issue i can use OSX and the better CPU management that it has.

Any idea why this is happening?

Are you actually saving the binding?

I run on a Mac as well (using 40d9 and 40d11), and while I have have a full keyboard, I do remap a couple keys to be more convenient. And I never have a problem with the game remembering the keys next launch.  But there is an explicit "save" option in the keyboard mapping screen that you need to choose after you remap.

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 03:57:45 pm »

You can change the interface.txt file to set the [ ] keys as the secondary menu keys.

Here's the relevant text from mine:

[SECONDSCROLL_UP:KEYDB]
[SECONDSCROLL_DOWN:KEYDD]