Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How many zlevels does it take to get to the center of an elf?  (Read 1878 times)

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
Re: How many zlevels does it take to get to the center of an elf?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 12:18:05 am »

15 elf merchants dead already... I wonder how many I can get to before they siege.

Update:now 20 Elf Merchants, and a human hammerman down the elf pit... He just happened to get sucked in when the elfs went down...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:20:12 am by Atlas »
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 02:23:01 am »

This reminds me of the time when I took hostage an entire human caravan by closing my drawbridge during a goblin siege.  They sat around for so long that about two-thirds of the merchants (and all of the musk oxen) went insane and were killed by their own caravan guards.

So much for protecting the caravan.
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 08:48:09 am »

One, two.....
*drops stonefalls*
Two z levels

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 03:35:57 pm »

They only talk to the baron/count/duke, so you have to have one for them to send a diplomat.

Damn.
Sigh. I guess I'll have to make a sacrifice for the good of the fort, and keep the baron around for a year.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 04:28:34 pm »

You have them fall 3-4 z-levels onto a bunch of weapon traps.  I think that would get to the center very quick.
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 05:17:42 pm »

They generally show up when you reach a certain fort size/worth...

I'm at 5 million dwarfbucks and the pop cap. No elven diplomat. Do I need a noble handy?

Seems I have the same problem ... pop cap is reached, can't get immigrants, can't get more nobles, can't get elven sieges.
Maybe this is why I'm not getting megabeasts or beakdogs or trolls either ... well there's only one thing to do.

What? modify the population cap so I get immigrants?
No no no of course not! I'm going to flood the ball room and the zoo, killing half the population.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 08:04:19 pm »

They generally show up when you reach a certain fort size/worth...

I'm at 5 million dwarfbucks and the pop cap. No elven diplomat. Do I need a noble handy?

Seems I have the same problem ... pop cap is reached, can't get immigrants, can't get more nobles, can't get elven sieges.
Maybe this is why I'm not getting megabeasts or beakdogs or trolls either ... well there's only one thing to do.

What? modify the population cap so I get immigrants?
No no no of course not! I'm going to flood the ball room and the zoo, killing half the population.
Draft them all into the military, and carreen them all into magma, or your next goblin siege.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 02:59:22 am »

As far as I've been able to tell, the only way to get elves to siege you are to be hostile to them on embark (somewhat rare, but not too bad if you get a few worlds), to kill the diplomat (needs the baron to start showing up iirc) or to agree to the mandate then cut down more trees then you said you would (doesn't always work). Not agreeing to a cutting limit dosn't make them siege, even if you do it over and over. You must agree then cut too many.

Personally I find killing the diplomat the easiest way, if your for is that big. I've a 100% success rate with that so far.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 11:09:32 am »

So, the 40 merchants I have killed are having no effect?

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 01:37:02 pm »

I've been systematically killing both elves and humans for the past 20 years in my current game and neither civ has yet to even ambush me.  In fact, they bring more goods each year for me to steal!
Pages: 1 [2]