Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I safely deconstruct this lever?  (Read 734 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Can I safely deconstruct this lever?
« on: April 03, 2009, 11:05:40 pm »

I have an underground reservoir fed by a channel from a river. The floodgate that opens/closes the channel is connected to both a lever and to a pressure plate located in the reservoir that was set to 0-5 water depth. The plan is that the reservoir will automatically refill when I drain it elsewhere.

I initially opened the floodgate with the lever. The pressure plate is now submerged, but the floodgate is still open (with the lever still at the "on" position). If I deconstruct the lever, will the floodgate close and now be under the control of the pressure plate? I'd hate to remove the lever and have the pressure plate not work, because I have no easy way to reconnect the floodgate to a new lever if the pressure plate doesn't work as intended.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Can I safely deconstruct this lever?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:10:38 pm »

I don't think deconstructing levers sets whatever they're linked to to 'off', so I think you're safe. But you do bring up a good issue about not being able to link it. I'd say keep it, just as a backup.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 11:38:54 pm »

definetly keep it as a failsafe, chances are the pressure plate will fail sooner or later  ;D

KirigStonebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:14:52 am »

The floodgate's state should correspond to that of the most-recently-changed input device (i.e. either the pressure plate or the lever). It sounds like you:

1. Flipped the lever ON, causing the gate to OPEN and the reservoir to fill, which should have
2. caused the pressure plate to hit level 6-7 and turn OFF, thus
3. CLOSING the floodgate

If the floodgate's still open, unless I'm misunderstanding the system, something went wrong, so I definitely wouldn't go deconstructing the lever. Is there a way you can empty the reservoir to test the auto-fill mechanism?

In general (so in this case, once you make sure the plate is working properly) it's safe to deconstruct a lever as long as you're not relying on it sending the ON signal. I think a device that's ON because of a lever will turn OFF if the lever's deconstructed, though I'm not positive of that. That said, though, unless there's some compelling reason to get rid of the lever it couldn't hurt to have a backup.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 02:18:17 am »

easy way to check:

build floodgate out in the middle of the ground.
Link to fresh level.
Link to fresh pressure plate that triggers on citizens.
Toggle lever same as the one you are worried about.
Enlist a dwarf and have his squad stand on plate.
Deconstruct lever.
???
Dead elves profit
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.