Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It's always the little things  (Read 609 times)

Sinfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
It's always the little things
« on: June 08, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »

just three little things i'll poke you with.

Could you 'black out' or something similar, those things that are impossible to do, like the option to build iron items at a magma forge when you have no iron bars, or planting certain kinds of seeds if you have none?  It's just a pain to swap back between the map and the stocks screen to see exactly what I have to build/plant/craft with.

Sand collection - I'd like a way to dedicate bags just for sand.  A command to help with mass-production so I don't have to queue up alternating lines of cllect sand/make raw glass would really be nice, rather then constantly monitoring my magma glass furnaces.

On magma glass furnaces (among others) - the queue window cuts the end off the listed options, leaving me with a list that reads like "construct green glass da" could you consider shaving down the "construct rock x, build wooden y" listing to make things easier to read?

that's it for now

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It's always the little things
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

Removing things that are currently impossible means that you wouldn't be able to queue up jobs for the future, just because you don't have the resources right now. What if I have six smelters churning out iron bars while my armorer finishes his "Forge copper plate armor" tasks? The iron'll be there by the time he gets to the next iron-requiring task.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

Both of these are good points regarding hidden orders. Perhaps if the game displays orders that are currently impossible in a different color?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sinfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 11:57:00 pm »

In response to the above, rather I should say i'd like certain orders to be persistent - even if the dwarf can't complete the task now, it will stay in the queue instead of being removed, and reactivate once the needed conditions are met.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 07:28:00 am »

Another small suggestion: Make animals not stand on top of their owners when the owners are working.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 10:26:00 am »

I've got a few on this subject:

Limit the number of cancellation messages for insufficient supplies.

I think there's a planned feature for automating the trees a little bit more, with sand it may be easier to have an option 'if you don't have sand, go get it'

I like the different colors option.  (I'm also a big fan of popups... you know, you select it and the information window at the bottom of the screen says Requires:  XXX :: You have: YYY... might even be more DFish to select a key to go to that screen)

Maybe even a check for a building task that says if you don't have what you need, and what you need is in the task list, move that up to next and do it instead.

Sinfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

another one - tie the requests of nobles and their consorts together.  I only have so much artifact furniture to throw around, and I can assign it to only one of them.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 04:11:56 pm »

1. Add a "Auto prepare raw fish" option next to the auto butcher, auto tan, et al.
2. Either sort a dwarf's skills by total experience in each, or shuffle the social skills down to the bottom.
3. Make gather sand a non-glass furnace task, so I don't tie up my glassworks while my workers fetch the raw materials.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.