Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Suggestions  (Read 972 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More Suggestions
« on: June 14, 2008, 04:17:00 am »

1) I'm not sure how to start this, so I'll just come out and say it. I am having a BIG problem understanding what my dwarf in a fey mood wants EXACTLY. All he will tell me is "He is drawing pictures of metal bars" and "he is drawing pictures of a quarry" What does each mean? I have 6 types of bars i can make, and i will loose money on the bars He doesn't use. As for the quarray, I have 4 different types of stone, but only 1 miner now, and i need him to dig a channel so my dwarves will have water.  I don't' want to delay him TOO Much, or i'll risk another massive drought.

2) Have the dwarves carry more than 1 small item.  This way, he'll carry more than one sock, or more than one pair of pants with him to the trade depot.  He can carry one massive bin full of what, 10 items, but then only one sock if its by itself? What if we were to make it so that each object has a value: 1 for small objects like clothing, 2.5 for raw stone and wood, and 5 for large, heavy objects like stone blocks, wood blocks, bins, and furniture. This way, a dwarf is carrying 5 pieces of clothing to the Trading Depot at once, 2 loads of stone and wood (there can EASILY be a ton of the stuff) But only one bin.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
Re: More Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

Dwarven socks are massive things carved from granite and weighting some 50 stones. Even when made from silk.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SimRobert2001:
<STRONG>1) I'm not sure how to start this, so I'll just come out and say it. I am having a BIG problem understanding what my dwarf in a fey mood wants EXACTLY. All he will tell me is "He is drawing pictures of metal bars" and "he is drawing pictures of a quarry" What does each mean? I have 6 types of bars i can make, and i will loose money on the bars He doesn't use. As for the quarray, I have 4 different types of stone, but only 1 miner now, and i need him to dig a channel so my dwarves will have water.  I don't' want to delay him TOO Much, or i'll risk another massive drought. </STRONG>

This should really be in the gameplay forum, but: there's no surefire way to tell.  Look at his personality and see if he likes any specific types of stone or metal--if so, that's probably what he wants.  Also look at the strange mood job in the queue and see if it has claimed any objects yet (the dwarf may already have picked up the stone, for example, but will still demand it until he has the metal bar also).  You might just need to make one bar of each metal until he's satisfied.

quote:
<STRONG>
2) Have the dwarves carry more than 1 small item.  This way, he'll carry more than one sock, or more than one pair of pants with him to the trade depot.  He can carry one massive bin full of what, 10 items, but then only one sock if its by itself? What if we were to make it so that each object has a value: 1 for small objects like clothing, 2.5 for raw stone and wood, and 5 for large, heavy objects like stone blocks, wood blocks, bins, and furniture. This way, a dwarf is carrying 5 pieces of clothing to the Trading Depot at once, 2 loads of stone and wood (there can EASILY be a ton of the stuff) But only one bin.</STRONG>

This is very hard, for reasons that have been described in many previous threads on the subject.  The way hauling jobs work right now is that every object that isn't in a stockpile, but should be, will generate a request for a hauler to move it to the stockpile.  To carry more than one object at a time, the dwarves would have to be able to combine these jobs based on how close the objects and destinations are (which then requires them to do several jobs at once, and to correctly handle cases where, e.g., another dwarf is already doing one of those jobs, or one of the destinations becomes unreachable).  It gets complicated.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

You should check what's inside the building, so you can see what he has and what he needs.
This is -ing good wood!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 02:05:44 pm »

I have 6 types of bars i can make, and i will loose money on the bars He doesn't use.

I'm confused.  How do you lose money on metal bars?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 02:19:07 pm »

Usually for me, a dwarf will grab whatever relevant material is nearest (i.e. if he wants metal bars he'll grab the nearest metal bar)  If I were you, I'd just make the best bar you can and hope for the best. 

Also remember that dwarves always gather the materials in order, so if it goes: bone -metal bars - stone, the dwarf will not get the stone before she has the bars or the bars before she has the bone.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 04:05:13 pm »

If you simply clumped the jobs based on destination, so a Dwarf would pick up a handful of nearby items all headed for the same bin, that would be a huge improvement.
Of course, random socks and such would have to be taken care of piece-by-piece, but that would actually be fairly realistic.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.