Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d]injured soldier wont rest  (Read 476 times)

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d]injured soldier wont rest
« on: April 04, 2009, 09:15:03 am »

this has happened twice now- i get a soldier or gaurd who is injured in sparring, and they get hauled to a barracks bed. dwarves bring em food an water- but they wont sleep. they just stay drowsy (even while healing red to yellow), and then very drowsy. then they go miserable and die.

what is happening, that a soldier in a bed wont sleep? i dont see any good explination for this.  and having a swordmaster go stark raving mad is a bit worrisome, even if his leg is broken.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: [40d]injured soldier wont rest
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:55:27 pm »

Deconstruct the bed he's on, I heard this tends to fix it.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:31:38 pm »

No, this is a different problem.

What's happening is that his incredibly painful wounds keep knocking him unconscious so he's never able to fall asleep.

This issue is supposed to be addressed in the next version; until then, just try to keep your dwarves as armored as you can. Silver weapons (and those wooden sticks the elves sell) are also useful for sparring, as they're the weakest weapons and thus don't cause very severe injuries.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:26:10 pm »

I usually add some stuff to the raws in order to make wooden weapons in a bowyer's shop.

I enable spears, pikes, maces, hammers and mauls in this way. (dwarves can't use pikes or mauls)
The ranged tag works like for crossbows. The weapon skill used in melee is the normal skill tag. The ranged skill tag though, is the tag used for ranged attacks. Since it's now a 'ranged' weapon, dwarves will choose the item depending on the ranged skill tag, so it's important that they match.
You need to create a new form of nonsense ammunition. I used to use bolts, but my speardwarves ended up picking up bolts as if they were marksdwarves and shooting them with their spears(and got spear-skill for it).

Example:

item_weapon.txt

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_WAR]
[NAME:war hammer:war hammers]
[DAMAGE:120:BLUDGEON]
[WEIGHT:40]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[RANGED:HAMMER:SHOUT]
[TWO_HANDED:4]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:4]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]

item_ammo.txt

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_SHOUT]
[NAME:shout:shouts]
[CLASS:SHOUT]
[DAMAGE:1:PIERCE]

Note: Dwarves shouldn't be able to use these weapons for sparring since they're 'ranged' weapons(same as crossbows). Instead, remove the tag from the raws once you have gotten a stockpile of wooden weapons. The game will forget they were ever any different, and will only know that it has a buttload of them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:28:49 pm by Dwaref »
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.