Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lizards in my food at my new fort.  (Read 985 times)

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lizards in my food at my new fort.
« on: April 04, 2009, 03:31:40 pm »

I have a lot of red sand but I moved my food to an all stone storage place and it's got doors. So where are these lizards coming from?  My cats kill them but the bodies are annoying.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lizards in my food at my new fort.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 03:38:20 pm »

Vermin teleport.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 03:42:53 pm »

Lizards are "vermin".  Vermin spontaneously generate - they're like roaches (which are another vermin, btw.)  They'll try to chew on your food unless killed by your cat(s), and if the stockpile is too far from where the cat hangs out, that won't happen very often.

Bodies with ~any~ open space above them, outdoors or in a "chute" on a z-level, don't create miasma.  If you want to spare the manpower, designate a refuse pile near them and label them specifically for dumping (k, d). 

(Or, go into <o>rders, <r>efuse, and turn on "o: Dwarves collect refuse from outside".)

Or live with it.  Or move them closer to the dining room/meeting hall where the cat can kill them faster.  Or put cages out there and trap them, and sell them to the Caravan.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 03:43:23 pm »

I've never had problems with stone rooms with doors not too close to main entrance. Weird.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 04:26:20 pm »

Vermin can spontaneous will themselves into being on any tile that is considered part of the BIOME token they are allowed to spawn on.

Wanna see a great example of this? Carve out a cave directly surrounding a magma pipe. It should not ever access the magma, the surface, or anything. The other end of the cave could come from fucking china. None the less, fire snakes will spawn in that cave and ruin any wooden or cloth goods you leave there.

Common vermin like rats, roaches, etc. are less of a big deal. They only miasma once before decaying out of existence, and brief exposure to miasma is hardly going to send ecstatic dwarves tantrum spiraling. You have a nice dining hall, filled with artifact furniture, right? :)

In any case, many people put their refuse stockpile just outside the front door of the fort. This can be pretty inefficient depending where your farms\food are located. Most miasmaing refuse in the fort comes from the kitchen\pantry area. Rotten plants\meat, vermin corpses, butchered chunks, and the like. All that's required to prevent miasma is a refuse stockpile or dump zone with sunlight shining on it.

Note that a refuse stockpile beneath open sky with a bridge built above it still counts as outside and WILL NOT produce miasma. (However, it will not combat cave adaptation--the game is picky about this stuff) The best way I've found to deal with refuse is have a stairway from the kitchen directly up to a walled-off surface yard where refuse can be dumped, or to ramp\channel the ceiling out above an area of the kitchen or an adjecent room, and store refuse under the channels so they have sunlight on them. Remember, this can be covered with a sturdy bridge for security without making it count as miasma grounds.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 12:36:30 pm »

Build about 10 animal traps and let a trapper catch vermin.  No miasma problem.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 08:37:31 pm »

Cats will often times try to bring the vermin corpse to a refuse stockpile. Make sure the refuse stockpile is large enough such that it has plenty of free space, and the problem should take care of itself.

Also, vermin will try to eat food. There's nothing you can do about this, except store food in barrels. Wood barrels are a good start, but metal barrels are even better.

However the food loss is extremely trivial, particularly compared to real life food spoilage!

In real life, something like 30-50% of all food harvested never reaches the people going to eat it; it gets destroyed one way or another during storage or transit. This number can vary massively depending on what type of food it is, of course. But in DF, even with the worst vermin infestation, food loss is maybe 5%, tops.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 08:53:46 pm »

Sorry, first thing I thought of when I saw the title was Snakes on a Plane.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 10:06:55 pm »

Actually, I think vermin are spawned more often on stockpiles. When my 200 human fortress was starving the entire population reverted to the 'hunting for vermin' job, and they wandered around the stockpiles. Not to mention I have never seen rhino lizards anywhere underground except in a stockpile of some sort.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 02:22:26 am »

If you're careful you can rope up the only cat in the middle of the storage?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.