Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All i want is bigger harder sieges!!  (Read 1576 times)

Bungled

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
All i want is bigger harder sieges!!
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:29:48 am »

i have been cruising the forums for this topic and it seems no one has a definite answer, if there is, i'm sorry for this post.
all i want is when the goblins come to siege me, which is usually around 80 dwarfs(which i dont want to change), is that instead of maybe 20 knocking at my fortress doors, i want hundreds...at least around 80, without changing the usual time at which they feel a need to strike.
its way too easy to play the game to that point with a well trained army, and it seems like my dwarfs don't even get injured anymore!

i would also like someone to educate me on how i can piss off the elves enough to siege me as well.

thanks.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All i want is bigger harder sieges!!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:03:14 am »

Try the Orcs mod.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:45:10 am »

For extra challenge play without spike traps (the only trap that works on orcs), magma and/or lots of trees (both make good armour too easy), or crossbows (they train fast, destroy orcs sieges if used in formation and the only resource they need are bones. [which the orcs provide in large numbers]).

Hint: Use [war] animals, released out of cages with levers, to keep the orcs busy while you set up your soldiers in formation.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 09:36:48 am »

i have been cruising the forums for this topic and it seems no one has a definite answer, if there is, i'm sorry for this post.
all i want is when the goblins come to siege me, which is usually around 80 dwarfs(which i dont want to change), is that instead of maybe 20 knocking at my fortress doors, i want hundreds...at least around 80, without changing the usual time at which they feel a need to strike.
its way too easy to play the game to that point with a well trained army, and it seems like my dwarfs don't even get injured anymore!

i would also like someone to educate me on how i can piss off the elves enough to siege me as well.

thanks.

Unfortunately, the size of sieges is directly related to the number that have previously shown up, so you can't go from 0 at 79 to 80 at 80. I'd also point out that sufficiently-trained dwarves can kill an almost arbitrarily large number of opponents, so to avoid the well-trained army you basically have to have them show up early.

I'll second Martian's suggestions for making the orc sieges harder, as well. If Orcs aren't difficult enough for you, check out the Insane Difficulty thread, which has some other things to make the game harder even if it's not a coherent mod yet. There is also always the Better Goblin Mod, which contains goblins that will kill you.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 11:04:49 am »

I'll second Martian's suggestions for making the orc sieges harder, as well. If Orcs aren't difficult enough for you, check out the Insane Difficulty thread, which has some other things to make the game harder even if it's not a coherent mod yet. There is also always the Better Goblin Mod, which contains goblins that will kill you.

Adding both the Orc mod and the better goblin one at a moderate setting is pretty effective. I rarely have a season when one or the other isn't on me, and fast lethal ambushes really make outdoor activity a real challenge. Even getting the cage traps used as a warning reloaded is a huge challenge. The only thing that makes it reasonably tolerable, which is out of control of the modders, is if you understand the seasonal cycle of enemies. Armed with that, I know when it's perfectly safe to venture out and when it'll become dangerous again. Seeing a more fluid interaction with enemies will be a welcome (and challenging) change when Toady adds it.

But with orcs, I had 80 on me with only 9 dwarves in my last fort and about 20 in the current one. It's not hard to get outnumbered in a big way.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 02:42:42 pm »

"Better Goblin Mod" is an excellent piece of work, and a huge source of fun and excitement.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 03:54:13 pm »

There is a definite limit to the number of enemies that can siege you at once, although I am not sure if the limit on siegers applies to ambushers as well, so there is really no real way to make sieges bigger, but they can fairly easily be made harder, either by making the enemy civs more dangerous, or by making your own weaker. There are quite a few mods out there that serve this purpose; I have heard great things about the level of difficulty added by the orcs mod, which I think (have not played it) is achieved by making duplicate hostile orc civilizations, and I personally can't imagine how the kobold mod couldn't be excruciatingly difficult. Of course, there's my mod, but since I haven't played any other mods, I can't tell how it measures up to the others difficulty-wise. (unless you are playing as the troglodyte faction, then the difficulty is just plain ridiculous)

Bungled

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:08:45 pm »

thank you guys,
i tried the "Better Goblins" mod, and it looks pretty much what i was looking for in a challenge...now the problem is to keep all of my dwarfs decending into total anarchy and melencholy once i send out the shock troops....for such a harsh society they live in, you would think that they would expect there would be a chance that Soldiers might die!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 04:21:48 pm »

Expect it, sure. Doesn't mean they have to like it.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Bungled

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 10:48:19 am »

good point.....

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 05:01:52 pm »

am I the only one who took something else from this thread title...

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 05:22:35 pm »

Well if your thinking along same lines as me no  ;D