Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shortest Game  (Read 715 times)

Glod Glodsson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shortest Game
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:07:51 pm »

I have long wanted to build a coastal fortress, then extend it into the sea and finaly sever my ties with the main land. This was the idea that motivated me to choose a 3x4 piece of coast.

So first time I enter the map:
The dwarves have apparently decided to drag the cart with all our supplies down into the surf, thus giving me roughly 7 turns before the waves wash in and everyone dies...

Second time:
In true dwarf style they repeat the last mistake, only this time we are all in agreeance that we shall not fail! everyone is a miner and we dig dig dig for our lives... which worked until they hit solid rock and slowed down and the tide swallowed them.

Third time:
O joy, this time we start in the surf yet again, only this time there appears to be next to no ocean, good! We barely have time however to dig into the cliff face before the water hits, only this time one of the settlers survive, walling himself inside... with no pickaxe to dig a way out... starvation, dehydration and dementia follow suit. Apparently he was trying to make some sort of carving when he finaly kicked the bucket... wish he could have finished it so we could have seen what his last thoughts were off... I bet it would have been a Helmspawn and a tankard of ale.

Fourth time to be continued. (I refuse to give up on this location and will do whatever it takes!)

So yea, while the little buggers may not react to well to water, there WILL be a waterkeep one of these days!
DF Wisdom: Just because Urist killed a dragon bare handed, while in his birthday suit, does not mean he does not enjoy a cat meat bruschetta served with a keg of strawberry wine.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shortest Game
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:16:55 pm »

Waves can't drown them... or move them...
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:23:40 pm »

Hmmm... This site has killed many dwarfs, has very little practical value (salt water isn't good for drinking) and to even survive there needs to be a ridiculously frantic scramble for higher elevations... Perfectly dwarfy, except there isn't enough magma

Glod Glodsson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:26:30 pm »

... ok, if it wasnt the waves it was something else, cause there was a short 7-dward reinactment of omaha beach...

eitherway yes, not enough magma I agree... will need to build a oilrig to find some... or pipe it in through a complicated pipe and pump system from somewhere... just make the entire sea into one solid stone slab, then carve it into the statue of a dwarf... hmmm
DF Wisdom: Just because Urist killed a dragon bare handed, while in his birthday suit, does not mean he does not enjoy a cat meat bruschetta served with a keg of strawberry wine.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:23:05 pm »

sonerohi's observation casts your account of these events into the light of scrutiny in my eyes. Your plans to build a functioning magmarig exacerbate the situation.

Carcer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:33:39 am »

Isn't it possible for there to be a magma pipe or magma pool under the ocean? In that case, I can under stand what he's saying.
set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.
Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.