Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals for Trade  (Read 578 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Animals for Trade
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:35:47 am »

I just tried genning a world after adding the [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] and [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] tags to the dwarf entity, in the hopes that the animals would show up in trade caravans.  I want to finish my current fortress before I start another one though, so I wanted to know if anyone else has any experience with getting more creatures in trade.

More specifically, will what I have done allow animals to appear in trade?  If so they should be traded like other animals (that is, in cages and tame) right?  The last thing I need to do is trade for a giant cave spider to start a silk industry only to realize it's still hostile and it's loose in the housing district...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Animals for Trade
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 05:56:40 am »

Anyone know?  Is there something I need to explain more thoroughly?
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 06:00:17 am »

no idea how any pet race works with a playable civ, but it *should* work fine. The creatures come tame and in cages.

I'm currently trying to sort out why they all turn up dead at the moment. still haven't figured it out.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 06:53:23 am »

no idea how any pet race works with a playable civ, but it *should* work fine. The creatures come tame and in cages.

I'm currently trying to sort out why they all turn up dead at the moment. still haven't figured it out.

Thanks!

I've heard tell of the elves bringing animals that arrive wounded because of the different environment (I.E. trying to sell a polar bear to a desert fortress), but I'm not sure about the validity of the claims.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 07:38:43 am »

Thanks!

I've heard tell of the elves bringing animals that arrive wounded because of the different environment (I.E. trying to sell a polar bear to a desert fortress), but I'm not sure about the validity of the claims.

They do bring wounded animals, but I can't imagine it would be due to environment, as caravans currently spawn right outside your fortress. The other option i've heard is that it is wounds caused by the elves during capture. I'm trying to test these claims at the moment, but my limited free time is restricting me.