Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a gem more common  (Read 510 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making a gem more common
« on: March 31, 2009, 02:00:19 pm »

I just wondered; if I add rock crystal multiple times to matgloss_stone_gem.txt, will it make it more likely to appear? Or will only the first entry for it be used?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Making a gem more common
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 02:40:23 pm »

It will make it more likely to appear, but you'll have to change the [MATGLOSS_STONE:] tag, else you'll get errors during worldgen and it probably won't appear at all, for example:

[MATGLOSS_STONE:CRYSTAL_ROCK_2]
[TILE:15][GEM:rock crystal:STP][COLOR:7:7:1][GLASS][VALUE:2]
[ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]

will give you a completely new gem with the same properties as rock crystal.
A different approach is to change the last line to [ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:CLUSTER:100], which will give you large fields of rock crystal all over the place.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Making a gem more common
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:00:41 pm »

A third approach is to change the number at the end of the environment tag. This number is not actually a percentage, but rather a fraction of a total. For example, if I have two rocks that could appear in a certain type of stone and one had [ENVIRONMENT:XXXXX:XXXXX:100] and the other had [ENVIRONMENT:XXXXX:XXXXX:50], than the first rock would have a 100/150, or 2/3 chance of appearing, while the second would have a 50/150, or 1/3 chance of appearing in that certain rock. If you increase the number to something large, say 5000, than it should win almost every battle with other types of stones and appear much more often.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.