Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nemesis Error?  (Read 977 times)

RoninFrosty

• Bay Watcher
  • No Rest for the Wicked
    • View Profile
Nemesis Error?
« on: March 31, 2009, 02:11:01 pm »

What is this? I can play for about 5 minutes, then kablooie, nemesis error, game crashes. Is this fixable?
I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals...

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Nemesis Error?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 02:46:36 pm »

I believe this occurs when the save file is corrupted.  Try doing a search in the bug reports forum, it's been reported many many times, along with various fixes.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:29:31 pm »

I believe this occurs when the save file is corrupted.  Try doing a search in the bug reports forum, it's been reported many many times, along with various fixes.

The fixes being 'Start over, your save is corrupt'. :) At least that's the trend I saw.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

RoninFrosty

• Bay Watcher
  • No Rest for the Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 04:47:34 pm »

Yeah...no one responded to my topic in the bugs forum, and since this is already here, I'll ask:

I looked around using the search function in the bugs forum, and it seems to be missing files in the saves folder that causes this issue. I'm in the habit of deleting regions I don't want to play anymore...is it possible that if I accidently deleted an old folder (like SPR-Region01 or w/e) of a region I'm still actually playing, that this might be what's causing the error?

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 05:06:07 pm »

is it possible that if I accidently deleted an old folder (like SPR-Region01 or w/e) of a region I'm still actually playing, that this might be what's causing the error?

I'm not 100% sure that may have caused it or not... But when I got the error, I was deleting a ton of saves too. It might be bad luck on our part, or that might be a part of it.

I think it might be due to autosaves not saving everything, and then loading off those autosaves.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

RoninFrosty

• Bay Watcher
  • No Rest for the Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 05:10:36 pm »

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else got anything?

RoninFrosty

• Bay Watcher
  • No Rest for the Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 06:21:10 pm »

Got this from the bug forum, thought you guys might be interested:

This error is most commonly caused when you terminate Dwarf Fortress without saving--whether that's a power failure, a hung game, or pressing ctrl-alt-del and terminating the process.  Don't do that.  If you do that, restore from a backup save...every single time.  Otherwise, this bug will bite you a few months or years into the future.