Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Edge of the map and fortifications  (Read 2199 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Edge of the map and fortifications
« on: April 12, 2009, 01:52:13 pm »

So, we all know you can't construct walls to the edge of the map, nor can you mine/channel out that last tile.

However, you can smooth the wall and carve it into a fortification.  ;D

However, this seems to have very wonky results. Lots of interesting potential, but weird stuff also happens.

For the first fortress, I dug out exits for water and magma. The water drained away quite rapidly. However, the magma did not. Then I made another map to test out on the edge of the ocean to try to drain the ocean. Well, after breaching the edge of the map with fortifications, I was actually getting water flowing in!

However I was not able to do further experimentation with this, as all of my dwarves were working in the tunnel and drowned when it suddenly flooded. I'm unsure if it matters, but that map tile biome had an aquifer in it, though I dug down to the lowest level on the map, through solid granite, to reach the edge of the map.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
Re: Edge of the map and fortifications
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 03:35:28 pm »

Woah, this definitely seems useful. Thanks for the tip (even though Toady will probably fix it next release).

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 04:13:32 pm »

*jaw drops*
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 04:17:01 pm »

One of the greatest Fortress Mode discoveries in a long time.

*thumbs up*
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 06:17:07 pm »

But if you have an area of an odd size, lets say 7x4 or something, then enemies can spawn inside the 'correct' area, so say 4x4. Still very useful though. Like, very very useful.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Mcshay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 06:23:48 pm »

I can independently confirm that, on a map with no aquifer, map-edge fortifications will drain water rapidly. It took less than a second for a single fortification to empty effectively 52 units of water (9 tiles reservoir minus all surfaces covered with 1/7 by the end).

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 06:56:42 pm »

At last! Chasms on any map! Very nice.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Mcshay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 07:01:18 pm »

This could probably act like a garbage disposal too, since things have a tendency to teleport through fortifications when being moved by liquid.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 07:15:23 pm »

:o
You are a true dwarven genius!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 09:42:48 pm »

However, the behavior of these fortifications isn't entirely predictable. Or perhaps my sample size was too small.

On a non-aquifer map, I was able to run water off the edge without any trouble. On this same non-aquifer map, I was not able to do the same with magma, which was unusual.

Also, on a map with an aquifer in the biome, even though I dug way down below the aquifer, my tunnel actually began to flood after breaching the edge of the map.

Anyone done any research on this? My DF time as of late has been rather limited due to my workload, but at least I'm getting overtime in this economy.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 10:03:35 pm »

it's not such a mystery with magma. magma will not flow off the edge of a map even on the surface. water will. just seeing the same behavior in a new place.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 10:06:55 pm »

Huh, didn't know that. I thought magma was a liquid just like water, and thus would flow off the edge of the map. I never actually tried sending water off the edge of the map until my current fort, because I had to have magma flowing to keep the river liquid.

I embarked in a freezing biome, and while I had a magma river under the water river, so it would heat up and keep it from freezing over, it only worked if the magma was moving. If the magma was 7/7, then the river would freeze until the magma moved again.

Mcshay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 11:00:20 pm »

Huh, didn't know that. I thought magma was a liquid just like water, and thus would flow off the edge of the map. I never actually tried sending water off the edge of the map until my current fort, because I had to have magma flowing to keep the river liquid.

I embarked in a freezing biome, and while I had a magma river under the water river, so it would heat up and keep it from freezing over, it only worked if the magma was moving. If the magma was 7/7, then the river would freeze until the magma moved again.

Wow that's weird. I guess rivers are handled differently than sitting water (ie: glaciers)?