Author Topic: Tileset  (Read 932 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Tileset
« on: March 29, 2009, 10:09:47 pm »

Just thought I'd post a quick note to let people know that this is available, in case anyone has the same odd tastes as me and wants it.

Update: I no longer used the smooth walls from Dorten's set because they generated a lot of artifacts when moved up to a 12x12 grid. The new version has smooth walls designed by myself. The example fortress has also been re-uploaded with the new tileset.

The set is available here on the wiki.

If you want to see what the tileset looks like in-game, check this fortress.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 04:45:03 pm by Lord Dullard »

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 11:42:20 pm »

You are a pretty good askii artist! That is a neat fort! Nice tile-set as well.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:47:16 pm »

Nah, I'm no artist. All I did was toss different elements from a couple existing tilesets together because I preferred parts from either/or.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:52:41 am »

The only thing I dislike are the pillars, but other than that, it looks great!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Stray Elvis (Tame)

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 03:12:00 am »

Something's up with the straightness of the lines for me. Anyone else see it?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:51:23 am »

Something's up with the straightness of the lines for me. Anyone else see it?

After working with this for a while, you're right, it doesn't look right.

I am going to actually attempt to make my own smoothed walls pixel-by-pixel. Pray for me.

I'll post the results here when I'm finished, if they're not vomit-worthy.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 02:20:32 pm »

Double-post, sorry.

UPDATE:

Finished with the tileset now. Because it's on a 12x12 pixel grid there's no way to get the triangular corners of walls to look absolutely perfect, but this is a much improved version of the original and is probably about as close as I'm going to come to making good diagonal walls on an even grid.

I may eventually just design an entirely new tileset on a 13x13 grid, but this one will do for now.

Also: The example fortress has been uploaded with the new tileset in place. Link fixed.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 04:02:06 pm »

Because it's on a 12x12 pixel grid there's no way to get the triangular corners of walls to look absolutely perfect, but this is a much improved version of the original and is probably about as close as I'm going to come to making good diagonal walls on an even grid.

I may eventually just design an entirely new tileset on a 13x13 grid, but this one will do for now.

You can get it to work even with 12x12 tiles, but you have to accept a small offset.  Instead of treating the middle four pixels as the center, just treat one of those pixels as the offset.  If there's any convention about this, I believe it would be to use the top-left of the four center pixels as center for all odd-width graphics.  Ideally, all the characters[/i] in the tileset would use that same pixel as the center, which would eliminate all visual appearance of an offset.  Nonetheless, you might be able to get away with using this convention for just the walls.

Below is a modified version of the tileset you posted, where the walls have been adjusted as suggested above, and to be one pixel wider (making them have an odd-valued width).  I haven't had a chance to actually see it in action yet (I'm at school and don't have easy access to DF at the moment), but you could drop it in and see if it fixes the small alignment mismatch issues.  Then you could use it as a template to tweak to your liking, if you like the general results.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 04:44:37 pm »

Thank you SO much, Exponent! I don't really have any talent with graphics, so that helps a lot (it worked beautifully, by the way). I tossed you credit for fixing the walls on the wiki repository.

Link to the example fortress has been updated. Check it out!

I also took the liberty of adding a new dwarf sprite; as much as I love the ASCII smiley face, it was starting to get a little old, so I went with something more Nethack-esque.