Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground Rivers  (Read 495 times)

Madmonkey24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground Rivers
« on: March 29, 2009, 05:04:59 pm »

I'm playing on a map that I specifically searched for having an underground river. I've been mining around on the starting z-level, but I can't seem to find it. I've scoured the back areas of the entire map to no avail. Is there a way to tell what z-level/where an underground river is without mining everything to hell? Thanks.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Rivers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:41:43 pm »

Supposedly if you build a depot and then hit the button to check for access, you'll see big red flashing squares in the middle of the rock wherever the river is.

What I usually do is to just send my miners to dig shafts 10 spaces apart in a grid pattern.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 05:44:51 pm »

In addition to Derakon's method, check the stocks screen to see if there's any corpses, bones, skulls, or remains that belong to cave river creatures.  If you see them there, you should be able to zoom to them.  You can then hotkey the place or something.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 08:46:40 pm »

Actually you see the big red letters everywhere that something isn't. Any region tile of rock that has something other than rock will not have the depot access letters inside rock walls cause hey, that's a rock wall. It's region squares of solid rock that are "totally" unrevealed so the little pathing thing for the Depot doesn't EVEN know that they are a rock wall.

Still, this gives like a 48x48 area to look through which may still be annoying. If you're lucky enough to be pretty sure the river goes off the edge of the map you can dig a tunnel along the edge and then a channel next to that and then go down a level and dig another channel and so on till you hit it.
If it drops into a chasm or is one of those very short underground rivers with water magically showing up from nowhere and disappearing into nowhere then you're pretty screwed without some luck.

Though on the bright side you only need to explore every 3 levels as you'll get damp stone indications... probably.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.