Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why haul a rock 5,000 miles?  (Read 1979 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Why haul a rock 5,000 miles?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 05:17:09 pm »

My goal of being quoted in a sig has finally been achieved. Thanks, OP, for the beautiful set up!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 08:03:21 pm »

from all the walls and things I've been using I think I know what's going on. My Mason DOES use the closest rock of whatever type I told him to BUT the long hauling problem shows up when I've designated a lot of walls.
The first walls were assigned the rocks that were nearby but he's busy building the latest walls I designated with rock that was then designated from a lot further away.

This pretty annoying when I'd look at the stockpile of rocks I had set up and watch as he would keep ignoring the rocks in it for rocks off at the bottom of the map and such.

I think that any rocks that get queued up for whatever tasks are unavailable for haul jobs and worse yet that rocks queued up for hauling are unavailable for your workshops.

I haven't checked this yet but you might be able to get the dwarf to start using nearby rocks again by just removing all the workshop orders and nuking your stockpiles then seting them up again a few frames later.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 09:47:47 pm »

When a construction is queued it will task any necessary stone. That stone thereafter CANNOT be touched for any purpose other than building that construction, period. This is very annoying when you task them to build walls on ground currently littered with stone, as they can't move the stone out of the way... they won't touch it until the wall its tasked for is built.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 10:43:52 pm »

So the only question remaining should be "how much rock does a workshop queue?"

main options:
only 1 rock
1 rock for each list entry

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 10:47:13 pm »

Workshops don't task items themselves. When a dwarf does work, they task the items to the workshop as needed.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

9tails

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 01:05:27 am »

So the only question remaining should be "how much rock does a workshop queue?"

A workshop will queue as much rock as a workshop can queue if a workshop could queue rock.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 02:14:18 pm »

Ok, the solution is mostly to not use stone stockpiles then, or in the case of micromanaging resource proximity let the stockpile fill up before designating stuff.
Pages: 1 [2]