Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Will dwarves notice a waterfall through windows?  (Read 1832 times)

HalEmmerich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will dwarves notice a waterfall through windows?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 09:35:50 pm »

An interesting side note about waterfalls, I've noticed that since installing mine a handful of my dwarves have mysteriously developed dabbling skill in swimming...  ::)

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 09:42:19 pm »

An interesting side note about waterfalls, I've noticed that since installing mine a handful of my dwarves have mysteriously developed dabbling skill in swimming...  ::)

I had a similar experience. I have a water fall that flows over the entrance of my fortress. The falling water apparently has sufficient pressure that it washes away pets while allowing dwarves to pass through it unharmed.I think this is why you're getting a swimming skillup, the dwarves are able to swim against the pressurized water. I had to install a puppy-safe drainage system because all my dwarves were horrified by puppies being washed into a 10+ z level drain.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 09:45:44 pm »

Waterfall thoughts require only the sight of the waterfall.  Windows do not block sight.  Dwarves do not need to touch it.

I know this because after a period of several months of having the main waterfall at my dining hall shut off, my manager, whose room had windows with a different waterfall on the other side that had remained on.  My manager had happy thoughts from the water fall.

To prevent splashing, you need two z-levels below the grate.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 09:58:45 pm »

I know this because after a period of several months of having the main waterfall at my dining hall shut off, my manager, whose room had windows with a different waterfall on the other side that had remained on.  My manager had happy thoughts from the water fall.

How many months is several months?  The wiki says that thoughts hang around for a full year, so unless your manager still had the thought after over a full year, I'd tend to assume that it was just a left-over thought.

I have a strong hunch on this partially due to the complication of recognizing what is a waterfall and what isn't.  Walking through mist is an easy thing to determine programatically.  Having looked at a waterfall is much more complicated.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 10:03:31 pm »

The word, it is logically.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 08:54:20 pm »

after some testing with a waterfall surrounded by windows, they never got a thought from it (with my only meeting area consisting of 1 tile surrounding the windows for several months). they've got to touch the mist :/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:56:16 pm by AncientEnemy »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 10:24:26 pm »

Waterfall thoughts require only the sight of the waterfall.  Windows do not block sight.  Dwarves do not need to touch it.
Might have changed in a recent version, but that's 180 degrees from what the Wiki says, which is that dorfs get thoughts from walking in the mist.  I only know what I read, no ability to experiment with windows... yet...
Pages: 1 [2]