Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How tall is a Z-level  (Read 10890 times)

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How tall is a Z-level
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 03:08:37 pm »

Now I am imagining some very flat dwarves and very flat animals
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 03:16:17 pm »

Hah.
We gotta keep in mind that since a kitten and a bronze colossus take up the same number of squares, so we can't really measure the width/length of a square, except against itself, as someone said.
As i recall, Toady is planning on implementing multi-tiled creatures as some point, in addition to wagons (yes, they are creatures, check your units list :P).
Until then, make it as big or small as you want. Personally, i'd go from bottom Z-level to top :D
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 07:53:13 pm »

I've always imagined the z-level as 1.5 times a normal dwarf's height.

Then I realized...

How tall are the dwarves, anyway? :P
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 08:33:05 pm »

Humans are size 7. Dwarves are size 6. So, around chest height or so. It's in line with the LoTR depiction of dwarves, I think.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 09:18:58 pm »

1 z-level is as tall as a support, and you can see them in their entirety, and you can only have 1 per tile. Tiles are defined just fine, it is all the other entities that are infinitely small...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 09:35:22 pm »

it's 10◙ high

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 09:57:52 am »

IIRC someone a while back made some math based on water and whatnot and got 1 z-levels height to 2.5 foot or something like that..

It was PTTG. This is the topic what you've been thinking about.  :)

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 11:07:39 am »

I would think the easiest calculation would be based on water, but not all that complex stuff with water consumption (He forgot to add in evaporation of water over a month long period :P )

Basically, a dwarf can still wade at 4/7 depth, and an elf can wade at 6/7 depth.  If his calculation is correct, that means dwarfs are over 10 feet tall, which would throw off his water calculation in the first place.  Also elves would be over 15 feet tall.

So, lets say a dwarf is a bit over 4 feet tall, and an elf is a bit over 6 feet tall on average (Both reasonable numbers I think) then each 1 depth of water would be 1 foot, so each z level is roughly 7 feet.

Simple and easy.  Thus for the 60 foot high pillars, you'd need 8-9 z levels.

-edit-

Actually looking at that other post again, it says that tiles are 2.5 feet wide, and each 1/7 of water is about 11 inches or so, which sounds about right to me.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 03:44:48 pm by Karadan »
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 10:45:01 pm »

But all creatures can wade at no more than 4/7. Therefore they're all the same size.

Erlend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 12:07:41 am »

wait how does that work, are you going to build that up and but leave the stairs at the bottom?

Hamdinger

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Circulating The Tapes...or DVDs...or AVIs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 02:41:44 pm »

IIRC someone a while back made some math based on water and whatnot and got 1 z-levels height to 2.5 foot or something like that..

I knew dwarfs were short but...
A z-level is tall as your I M A G I N A T I O N
Pages: 1 [2]