Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about reveal...  (Read 941 times)

IonKitten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about reveal...
« on: March 28, 2009, 08:27:40 pm »

Is there any way to undo it? I wanna find my magma pipe so I can start my glassmaking but I'm really really tired of exploratory mining, and I don't like the look of the map after being revealed, plus I like finding my minerals/gems on my own. (selective cheating, I know.)
So, after I use reveal, is there any way to unreveal it?

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Question about reveal...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 08:39:10 pm »

Nope, I'm afraid not. You CAN exit DF, copy your savegame to a different folder (ie region1_test or something), open THAT savegame, reveal it, take a look around, and then go back to playing in your MAIN, un-revealed region1 folder.

Rochndil, who has done this many times...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 08:42:09 pm »

The best way to manage that is to Back Up your save game to a different folder. Then you use Reveal and take note of what you need. You then swap your backup into the game folder, and your reveal'ed map becomes your backup.

Hope that made sense.  But no, there is no way to reveal a map and then unreveal it. You have to use a 2nd (or backup) game file as the cheat, and save your original game file untouched.

IonKitten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:50:31 pm »

Ah, thank you. I'll try that, maybe, if I can pull myself away from the game long enough. ;D