Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combine Adventure mode and Fortress mode, extra playable for PBEM groups  (Read 948 times)

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile

Combine Adventure mode and Fortress mode.

it would be cool.

as a tradeoff I would abandon the God mode in the Fortress mode, and play the Fortress as a 1st person fortress building game.  perhaps using an item for the player controled dwarf, if the item is lost, some dwarf in the fortress will automaticly make lable a new item as the player and some dwarf would clame it.

PBEM
I think this can also be cool for PBEM groups. where each player in the group could have his own item and log onto it while loading the saved game.

Sounds good.  I hope it dose.

We found the zirilid stream

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think this has been suggested previously at least once.  I don't think anyone really liked the idea.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except Toady, who has lots of dev notes to the effect that this eventually WILL go in, as part of recruiting bands of followers, and as part of having all fort mode skills in adventure mode.  Since you'll one day be able to be king in adventure mode, yes... this will work.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Except Toady, who has lots of dev notes to the effect that this eventually WILL go in, as part of recruiting bands of followers, and as part of having all fort mode skills in adventure mode.  Since you'll one day be able to be king in adventure mode, yes... this will work.

That's interweaving, not combining.  If you'd read the OP, you'd note Teloft specifically saying to do away with the semi-omniscient 'God mode' perspective of DF, etc.

And PBEM usefulness isn't really one of DF's big goals.

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile

And PBEM usefulness isn't really one of DF's big goals.

PBEM support is not a large goal,  and I am not a programmer,  some ideas about some Multi player or group play support have been floating around for some time.

I like sending the save game to a friend and have him play for some time and then I play for some time.  There are lot of options to better facilitate such mode of play, but none are one of the big issues that should be worked on at this time in the development, but would benefit the group player experience.

We found the zirilid stream

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

I would abandon the God mode in the Fortress mode

I think this should still be a mode. I don't want to control my fortress by force from a throne, I want to control it from the sky with mind control.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG