Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Happiness Tracker  (Read 1000 times)

Minalkra Matal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://NO!
Fortress Happiness Tracker
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:53:08 pm »

Much like the unit list, it shows not only current job but <Tab> how that dwarf/animal is currently feeling <Tab> the most recent change <Tab> The most logical thing to make him/her happier maybe?  Essentially, some way to actively prevent tantrum spirals.  You can see the dwarves as they get unhappy and maybe track down and fix the problem without going through the unit list, v-enter to see each and every one of your 130 dwarves thoughts.  Just a thought.
GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Fortress Happiness Tracker
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 05:00:27 pm »

Some have proposed this via a new noble; I prefer using the Mayor, who, as an elected official, should be keeping dwarven happiness in mind. A skilled Mayor will be more accurate and more helpful in telling you what is making the most dwarves unhappy and so on. This will all be displayed on the "N"oble screen, under mayor.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 05:04:19 pm »

I'm hoping under the interface rework we get a system similar to how Roller Coaster Tycoon handles guests thoughts and happiness.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 06:06:03 pm »

Or just change their colors... Blue for estactic.. green for happy till we get to dark red for miserable.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Minalkra Matal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://NO!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:41:39 pm »

Or just change their colors... Blue for estactic.. green for happy till we get to dark red for miserable.

Well, that'll mess up the color for profession thing Toady has goin' on.  If we do it a flashing between prof-mood , that's be WAY too busy a screen.  A separate screen would prolly suffice for most people.  You only need to see the mood of the dwarves if they become unhappy.  Though PTTG's thought on the Mayor would add more of a 'skill based' approach, much like the skill of the Trader determines not only IF you can see trade prices but also how well the merchants react.
GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 11:41:30 pm »

You could make it a modal button -- hit M to switch dwarves from showing their professions to showing their moods.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 02:15:28 am »

I've always though their should be a little though bubble over each dwarfs head that displays what their currently doing in a pictographic form, perhaps the bubbles background color could show mood with a gray scale.  White is happy and darker shades of gray progressively unhappy, black for terminal melancholy (the bubble would of course have a contrasting outline so its visible against any color floors).  This would be consistent with the use of thought bubbles in cartoons so it would be intuitive for most people.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 11:14:44 am »

Some have proposed this via a new noble; I prefer using the Mayor, who, as an elected official, should be keeping dwarven happiness in mind. A skilled Mayor will be more accurate and more helpful in telling you what is making the most dwarves unhappy and so on. This will all be displayed on the "N"oble screen, under mayor.

As in the billion other threads on this topic, I agree and consider this a logical extension of the Mayor's current role in receiving work-related complaints and serving as a shoulder to cry on.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 02:04:39 pm »

I agree about the Mayor thing, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to be able to elect (ourselves) 4 other dwarfs to serve on a "Fortress Council"?

That'd give more dwarfs to see to your Fortress's happiness (They serve as the Mayor's assistants, political liasons, social workers, etc.), and at the same time, solve the "kids getting voted into office" issue, since a new Mayor might have to be elected from the Council, which you've personally selected.

I also see them as not being real "Nobles", or atleast very minor ones, in that they might not make any demands, beyond, perhaps, a slightly nicer quarters. Maybe not even that, as they may want to be seen as "dwarfs of the people". 
For they would be your masters.