Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpile / Workshop Association  (Read 958 times)

Balynevil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stockpile / Workshop Association
« on: February 20, 2008, 04:02:00 am »

I do not know if this is already possible in the game but I suggest a way to link workshops with specific stockpiles. This way it would streamline the process of having stockpile receive certain items from various workshops. It will help control the flow of goods, for example, you can have the workshops that that produce preliminary materials deliver their goods to a stockpile near the workshops that build the finished good. Like a woodburners workshop would link it's output to a stocpile next to furnace / metalsmith, etc... I know that you can change the settings for stockpiles so that only certain goods get placed in them, but it would be more efficient if you could control where exactly the goods would go as opposed to setting each individual stockpile settings. I would like my butcher's shop send fat and meat to the stockpile by the kitchen, and the bones and skulls to the stockpile by the craftdwarf's workshop. I think it can help streamline the flow process and would be easier (and less time costly) than having to sort through all of the menu options inside the stockpile menu to ensure you have highlighted or greyed (forbid/permit) just the right things in the right categories.

EDIT: Fixed mispelling in title.

[ February 20, 2008: Message edited by: Balynevil ]

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpile / Workshop Association
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »

There are already several ways to do what you are suggesting.
One is simply to place your workshops in a way that minimizes distances for goods to travel.  For instance, dig out a big room and place the relevant workshops next each other and next a stockpile that takes both the raw materials and the finished product like this:

code:

###########
#ssswwwmmm#
#ssswwwmmm#
#ssswwwmmm#
#=========#
#=========#
#=========#
#         #

#-wall
s-smelter
w-wood furnace
m-metal smith
=-stockpile set to take wood, charcoal, coke, metal bars, and metal armor/weapons/ammo/furniture/finished goods

You can also use the 'Take from pile' command in the stockpile [q]uery menu.  For instance, place the butcher shop is next to a stockpile that is set to take fat, meat, bones, shells, and raw hides (let's call it stockpile #1). Then, next your kitchen, place a stockpile that is set to take just meat and fat (stockpile #2) and next to the craftdwarf workshop, have a stockpile (number #3) set to take bones and shells and one more (#4) next to your tanner set to take raw hides.  Then [q]uery stockpile #2, hit [t] (the command for 'take from pile'), move the cursor to stockpile #1 and hit enter.  Haulers will then go to #1, grab the meat and fat and take it to stockpile #2.  They won't take anything else because #2 isn't set to take anything else.  Repeat for stockpiles #3 and #4.

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Balynevil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:01:00 am »

Yeah, I get that concept. I build my workzones like that (related workshops next to one another with appropriately sorted stockpiles) to minimize travel and maximize production. I was just thinking that if we could link worshops to specific stockpiles you can avoid having things go to stockpiles you don't want them going to (cause you forgot to turn off Fat, lye or whatever else from your main food stockpile for example). Also, you can cut out the need to send things to a central stockpile and then pull from that stockpile for delivery to the smaller more specific stockpiles cutting down on travel time since things would just go to the intended stockpiles to begin with.

falsedan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 08:36:00 am »

I just had a similar idea this morning. I would like to order a workshop to only use certain stockpiles for materials. So then I could set up a plump helmet stockpile, and manage my still to only use that stockpile, while my kitchen is set to use a meat/fish stockpile as its source.

Even better would be replacing the butchery's "auto-butcher when a nearby butcherable corpse is present" to "auto-butcher when a butcherable corpse is in stockpile <X>" to "auto-<job> when <relevant> is in stockpile <X>", and make every job in a workshop automatable with a toggle (replacing 'repeat job', so if the stockpile empties and then is replenished, jobs recommence).

So, I would create a stockpile that accepts only steel, tell my forge to only use this stockpile, and order that forge to create spears and shields. If the forge has no jobs and a bar is present in the stockpile it's linked to, a 'forge steel spear/shield' job is assigned to that forge and the bar is reserved for that job.

Or set my still to auto-brew and point it at my main food stockpile, and every plant that was delivered to that stockpile would end up brewed, if no other task required it.

Laiska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:00:02 am »

Yey! excactly what i was searching up before makin a new post about it, therefore i post my comments 'ere. I too would like to direct my workshop to take stuff from a stockpile#12 to produce as many obsidian blocks i can, been darn hard for the poor dworfs to understand that the huge pile of obsidian stones surrounding the mason workshop are there to use, instead they like to run downstairs and make all sorts of blocks. i would not like to lock em up either for theyre (relatively)free bunch of rockheads. something like: if forced to use stockpile, search stuff from there. if nothing found or nothing's forced up, do like it has been done this far.
This is a stack of 21 well-prepared creeping eye intestines roast. The ingredients are well-minced prepared creeping eye heart, minced creeping eye meat, minced creeping eye meat and minced prepared creeping eye intestines.

... Could i have some wine with that?

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 02:30:58 pm »

I personaly liked the suggestion that allows a certain amount of raw materials to be stored inside a workshop.

Removes the clutter of a million lil stockpiles surrounding workshops of importance.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.