Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game Speed  (Read 675 times)

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
Game Speed
« on: March 27, 2009, 01:36:09 pm »

I would love to see a way to speed up the passage of time, or can you already do that? And I'm not talking about tinkering with the creature files, it's not the same.
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Speed
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 02:01:25 pm »

The thing is that you can't really speed things up because right now -everyone- hits a max speed at which their computers can calculate paths and flow and other such things.  It'd be very difficult to make the game go any faster by some simple slider option.

You could have dwarfs move two tiles at a time, but that could lead to alot of problems, glitches, bugs, etc.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 03:59:53 pm »

As it's been said before, the only way to 'speed up' time is to abstract away a lot of what's going on, and that would be a very complex thing to do properly.   It will happen, just not any time soon, I think.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 06:23:25 pm »

Technicly you can already do this..

Change your maximum FPS in your init file.

In reality... as you build your fortress your dwarfs will get slower and slower and slower and the default speed of 100FPS will become a joke as your crawling along at 4 or 5... Waiting painfully for anything to happen....
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:48:19 am »

How about a sort of slider in game that sets the current max FPS? Saves a lot of trouble when saving, going to the init file and raise the fps cap just when you want to speed things up for a small moment.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 08:45:50 am »

This has been suggested a couple of times IIRC. [RTS style game speed adjustment]
Either way, I support the suggestion.