Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'd like to see zones within zones.  (Read 817 times)

I'd like to see zones within zones.
« on: November 08, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »

Here's what I'd like to be able to do:

#1) Set up a 'hospital' zone.

#2) Specify certain beds within the hospital as 'patient' beds. Dwarves will try to drag wounded dwarves to such beds if there are any available. Dwarves will not otherwise use the beds, although they may have unhappy thoughts if there are beds in the hospital but not enough beds elsewhere.

#3) Assign dwarves with the 'health care' skill enabled to the hospital. As long as there are wounded dwarves within the hospital zone, the hospital will assign dwarves with the health care profession to it - maybe 1 dwarf per 10 wounded. If 'nurse' beds are designated, the nurse will use one of those to sleep on. Food and drink zones for nursing staff can be similarly set up. Non-nurses will avoid using such consumables if there are others available.

#4) Assigned nurses will only leave the hospital to go get another patient if no one else is available to do so. If a nurse goes on break, the hospital will look for a new nurse.

#5) Assigned nurses will be checked first for tasking if a patient of that hospital needs care.

#6) There can be general food and drink zones for patients. Likewise, there can be food and drink zones designated for each bed. As soon as a patient is assigned a particular bed, the dedicated zones will be set to match his or her preferences. Maybe even assign a priority for deliveries. Nurses will draw from such dedicated zones if food and drink are in them.

Of course, that's just for hospitals. Put the capability in as a general thing and you can apply it to a lot of different areas. Food supplies linked to bedrooms, raw materials linked to specific workshops, and so on.

I'd probably also make a floor panel for each hospital room. If a berserk dwarf tries to escape, he trips the panel and locks the door.

-Albert