Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capital should send soldiers based on native hostility  (Read 800 times)

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capital should send soldiers based on native hostility
« on: November 08, 2007, 12:09:00 am »

I'm on a map with a chasm exposed to the surface.  So there are ratmen giant bats and troglodytes on the mountain surface.  There are elephants too, but they can't get to my fort.  My metal industry is slow due to the scarcity of wood and it'll be a while before my miners get to the lignite vein (its exposed to the surface but I want to extract it safely underground - the tunnel is not build yet)  The caravan has already come and seen the environment and that 80% of the units in the nit list are hostile.

The map said this place was "serene" in terms of wildlife, but I guess the chasm lifeforms don't count.

The mountainhomes should send soldiers to an outpost based on the level of hostility, or proximity to goblin forts.  Or at least let me send a request with the liaison for reinforcements.

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

doomlichen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Capital should send soldiers based on native hostility
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 03:39:00 am »

Haha, I settled in a tropical volcanic region with an aquifier, hoping to settle around with wood until I can pump my way to the rock. Wouldn't you know it, my dwarves landed right next to a cave entrance. Giant Spiders, Cyclops, and Trogs galore. I tried to start a fort, but a quick look around with the revealer showed that the third and fourth levels were total aquifiers, and they completely barred entry to rock and ore. BUT, the cave was 7 levels deep and offered a quick way in.

So I built up a quick Bowyer and armed all 7 of my dwarves with crossbows and bolts and sent them charging in. The first level was cleared with only one casualty, then it gets nasty. Dwarves were dropping like flies to webs and choking.

So, in short, it would be indeed nice to get some military support in areas with heavy hostiles.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 02:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by doomlichen:
<STRONG>Haha, I settled in a tropical volcanic region with an aquifier, hoping to settle around with wood until I can pump my way to the rock. Wouldn't you know it, my dwarves landed right next to a cave entrance. Giant Spiders, Cyclops, and Trogs galore. I tried to start a fort, but a quick look around with the revealer showed that the third and fourth levels were total aquifiers, and they completely barred entry to rock and ore. BUT, the cave was 7 levels deep and offered a quick way in.

So I built up a quick Bowyer and armed all 7 of my dwarves with crossbows and bolts and sent them charging in. The first level was cleared with only one casualty, then it gets nasty. Dwarves were dropping like flies to webs and choking.

So, in short, it would be indeed nice to get some military support in areas with heavy hostiles.</STRONG>

Unless immigration rules have changed, you should have built nothing but crossbows and bolts, then has all dwarves not need to farm training at a target intil the first immigration wave. Then you should have gotten trained and equipped marksdwarves in the immigration wave due to immigration mnumbers being at least somewhat influenced by your current production of items.

doomlichen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »

Really? I always get tons of metalcrafters and gemcutters even though I didn't have access to either. Then they got into strange moods and had to be put down. Such is life.

Anyway, I was on an island, so I wasn't even sure if I could get trade or immigration. (Is it dependent on the local map edge or what?)

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by doomlichen:
<STRONG>Really? I always get tons of metalcrafters and gemcutters even though I didn't have access to either.</STRONG>

He meant *weapon* production influences your immigrant composition.  If you don't make weapons, you won't get weapon-users, if you make axes, you'll get axedwarves, and if you make crossbows, you get crossbowdwarves.

[ November 08, 2007: Message edited by: BDR ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 08:25:00 pm »

Not a bad idea, since it is in the Capital's best interest that you succeed to some extent. However, if they're going to provide you with military assistance, then they'd also have to tax you or require some sort of tribute. Not paying said tribute would lead to withdrawal of help or actual hostile action. This is an kingdom after all, with no room for freeloaders.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

In that situation, I'd say set up an elaborate system of pumps to flood the cave from the aquifer.  In fact I really want to play on that map now.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

doomlichen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 02:01:00 am »

If you want to give it a shot the seed is 3514918496, massive 37 rejects though.

The region itself isn't immediately obvious, it's on the bottom left corner on the world map (6th up, 6th left), single volcanic island.