Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hilarity Ensues at Goblin Tower  (Read 967 times)

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
Hilarity Ensues at Goblin Tower
« on: March 18, 2009, 07:22:44 pm »

I never thought something like this could happen... I'll start from the beginning of my adventure, since it hasn't been very long.

Its been several months since I last tried playing an adventurer, so I wanted it to be somewhat memorable. I started out with a human maceman, with a couple levels in swimming, marksmanship, armor-using and shield-using. From there I trained up swimming and throwing to legendary and brought up ambushing to its higher levels, then decided to have some fun with the fishies before weaking true havoc. I jumped in the nearest river and started chasing the blighters down. Before I got there I had killed a couple skeletal bears, almost a dozen wolves and a giant cat of some sort.

First I stealthed, chased after the nearest fish, ambushed/killed it, then moved back up the stream until I could restealth and rinsed/repeated. When I got bored of that I simply chased them down (had perfectly agile, so it wasn't hard), but instead of killing them I just ran past them to the next fish, whacking them around with counterstrikes. after killing about 30 fish this way and working up my weapon/armor/shield skills to around proficient, I decided to give my local goblin towers a visit.

So I ran to the adjacent southern square, stealthed, and worked my way north. Long before I came within sight of it, however, something interested happened.

My combat log got spammed by messages of a goblin ranger shooting down antmen. I didn't think much of it and continued north, getting spam every step of the way. After a while, distracted (and partially blinded) by the messages I ran into a naked mole dog, accidently bashing it halfway across my screen. While I ran to a small depression in the ground to restealth, the messages started getting a little more variety; First, I noticed troglodytes appearing in the fight against the ranger, followed up with some naked mole dogs like the one I killed.

Soon after that, goblin guards and a demon were added on the opposing side, and then... I came into sight of one of the towers, with the ground on the south side littered with troglodyte and antmen corpses, little trails of ichor showing that they had been nocked off the side of the tower. A goblin clothier started appearing in the combat log and I saw the demon off to the west, standing amid a pile of naked mole dog and large rat corpses.

Is it normal to find a goblin tower at war with the local wildlife?

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hilarity Ensues at Goblin Tower
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 07:33:50 pm »

Its normal when a fort is near a chasm. The creatures come out of the Chasm when you travel there.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Thnikkafan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:07:07 pm »

It;s normal. What may not be normal is seeing carpmen (modded in :o ) falling onto snakemen and faling into the chasm.

mitternacht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:47:37 pm »

Yeah, as I recently found out, the chasm respawns everytime you enter an area without clearing the previous group, so travelling in and out of the dark fortress can lead to them being zerg rushed by beast-men. I did that to a dark fortress, the pop went from 213 to 23 and I accidentally killed their demon with a bush fire. The 2 bronze colossi sent I sent up there got swarmed and eventually fell to ratmen (should have modded them to gain skills). Sons of bitches killed all my fav gobbos like the lasher fond of flaying trolls, the little boy who had his arms broken/mutilated and had to bite stuff to death or the greatest of them all, that metalsmith who killed about a hundred of them with his leather pants. A batman took away his pants then they literally chewed him up and spit him out. :'(

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:21:21 pm »

FEAR MY PANTS!!!

Dang, it's late. I'm incoherent!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:34:26 pm »

I hope Toady never fixes this infinite spawn glitch.  It has helped me to fight so many epic battles, and it guarantees that you'll NEVER run out of things to fight, even if you genocide the entire world.

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:26:14 pm »

Ahh, sorry, just realized there was another thread up on this exact subject -_-; thanks for the responses though.

I ran all the way up to the top of the tower without seeing a single goblin, although I did kill a handful of other critters. On my way back down I ran into one and found out my civ was allied with them... but decided to kill them all anyway. By the time I got back to the door leading out of the tower I had killed about a dozen of them, including an axelord, ranger and spearman and about twice as many chasm-dwellers, half of which was done while both tired and thirsty (my water had frozen, and while I was covered in several pages of blood and ichor, there was no water on me). Got the wrong end of the die-roll just outside though, and got killed by another spearman.

Also, the demon accidentally burninated one of his own gobbies. And the tower was named The Palace of Incest. I can't help but wonder whether the demon or the goblins named it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:31:03 pm by Kronos »