Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thinking Like A Dwarf  (Read 925 times)

FelixtheCats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delve:DF blog
Thinking Like A Dwarf
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:03:43 pm »

I'm looking for ideas for the overarching story-arc of my fortress. I didn't plan it out, since I would rather it evolve organically, and now I'm stuck, I need your help.

Summary:

-  Religious extremists, followers of Armok, leave their old home to start new society. 
 - They are led by Urdim the prohpet, and the 6 founders (6 + 1, 6 being Armoks number) They found the warren, then get a visitation by Armok, telling them to build a divinely proportioned tower.

-  Refugees flood in telling of ruin of old home and seeking shelter. Refugees are brutally oppressed.
 (now that I read it, it sounds strangely like watership down)
 -  Tensions rise between newcomers and small cadre of religious dwarves.

I kind of have writers block right now, since some new developments have put the kiabash on my intended storyline: One of the founders was crushed by a falling boulder and the narator/religious leader broke an arm in the same incident and an unbeliever mayor was elected.

I'm not sure how to describe these incidents, it was supposed to have been the story of bloodthirsty, luddite cave adapted elders ruthlessly building this tower on the bones of their followers. I took great pains to make this so, confining the Founders to never leave the caverns, and turning off any skill that would lead them outside, or digging anywhere dangerous. Despite that, the boulder that was dislodged upslope of the fortress, fell through the cavern room into the sleeping chambers of the founders, killing one and injuring one . Im not sure how to write this in.

A few possibilities:

1.Assasination attempt on Urdim, by a dwarf who was recently pitted against a berserk dwarf unarmed, as a test of faith.  Two large factions of dwarves, fighting for control of the map, kind of a religion vs. science deal.

2. Sign from Armok to the religious nuts to crack down even more harshly, harsher segregation, starvation, madness and beatings.

If anyone has read my story so far, put yourself in the shoes of my main characters what would you do if you were isolated in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of people intent on either killing you or converting you?
 How should I tie these events into the greater theme?
http://lodestones.wordpress.com

Delve, tales from my fortress: http://lodestones.wordpress.com
Let me know what you think!

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking Like A Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:18:06 pm »

2 do you evan have to ask :D
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

FelixtheCats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delve:DF blog
Re: Thinking Like A Dwarf
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:38:14 pm »

Hehe, well I guess sometimes the question itself is the answer. Sticking with that storyline certainly simplifies things.
Delve, tales from my fortress: http://lodestones.wordpress.com
Let me know what you think!