Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Select Empire of Reclaim  (Read 1068 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Select Empire of Reclaim
« on: April 22, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »

As DF is now, when one reclaims a Fortress, you are automaticaly from the same civ as the one that founded it. I propose that you may select the empire you reclaim from, allowing the construction of even more epic sagas.
 This becomes even more interesting as other races become playable; Imagine, the elves living in a harmonious glade when the goblins invade! The elves wiped out, the goblins erect an obsidian tower there. The Dwarves arrive to destroy the menace and later dig mines underneath while fortifying the tower. The dwarves eventually leave due to famine, but after a few years, humans start to build a town around the site with the tower as a keep. And each of those empires would be controlled by the player!
 I'm sure that parts of this are in planning; I'm just saying that this could be implemented soon just by allowing us to select the reclaiming empire.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Select Empire of Reclaim
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

Well, this suggestion has my full support.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:37:00 am »

Nice!  Could fit into the army arc too, so instead of picking Reclaim, you pick Invade, where you start with an armed force and have to slaughter the previous inhabitants sometimes (for instance, when the orcs attack the elves).

Benifits, everyone starts with armour and weapons.  Drawbacks, few non military skills at the start, no anvil, possibly no seeds..

Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

I like Thassa's suggestion.

I also like the idea of being able to reclaim with a different civ.

Balistora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 08:05:00 am »

second
The 10000 year world would bother me.
Not because of the memory requirements, though they would be huge, but because technology wouldn't advance.
10000 years of the same swords and shields sort of tech is goofy.
Kobold Thief has stolen *flying car*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 08:13:00 am »

At the moment it's not that interesting unless you've modded the game to allow for other playable races.  You just come from a different dwarven civilization, so you'll just end up with a difference in what you can buy from the dwarven caravans.

I still agree with it, however.  Even though the glories of the future you detailed are currently rather far-off, it still allows modders to get a little more spice in their modifications.

The idea gains my support.