Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding a New Reaction  (Read 831 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adding a New Reaction
« on: March 17, 2009, 10:50:35 am »

Having lost several dwarves in a row because they want shells for their secret moody projects and no one's eating them [Due to an overabundance of food] I thought of an idea. Making turtles the component of a reaction at a fishery [either making them extractable to create a unit of food, some bones and a shell, or a brand new reaction all together].

I have no idea how to do this, and peering around I see other mods with new reactions, but searching on the forums has shed no light on this. Can someone give me a quick and easy pep-talk on adding a custom reaction?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a New Reaction
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:31:14 am »

Everything you need to know starts here. I can give you the assurance of my zillions of reactions that what you want can be done, aside from being done in the fishery. Right now, all new reactions have to go in the smelter, to be performed by a Furnace Operator. You can have them not require fuel, though.

I'm a firm believer of "teach a man to fish..." when it comes to this stuff, because there are a LOT of moving parts in the raws, and you need to know where to find what you need without waiting for someone else to look it up for you. Plus, all that stuff was discovered by somebody punching in random ideas and seeing if it worked. If you try stuff yourself, you just might make the next discovery.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 11:32:12 am »

Also, one major thing to take notice of is that adding a new reaction requires a new world to be generated. Just pointing that out, just in case.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 11:39:42 am »

Everything you need to know starts here. I can give you the assurance of my zillions of reactions that what you want can be done, aside from being done in the fishery. Right now, all new reactions have to go in the smelter, to be performed by a Furnace Operator. You can have them not require fuel, though.

I'm a firm believer of "teach a man to fish..." when it comes to this stuff, because there are a LOT of moving parts in the raws, and you need to know where to find what you need without waiting for someone else to look it up for you. Plus, all that stuff was discovered by somebody punching in random ideas and seeing if it worked. If you try stuff yourself, you just might make the next discovery.

So changing the [SMELTER] tag does nothing then? Fah. Thanks for the link. I didn't see that anywhere on the wiki when I was looking, I kept looking for modding and adding actions and the like.

Also, one major thing to take notice of is that adding a new reaction requires a new world to be generated. Just pointing that out, just in case.

Thanks, I got that one already. :)
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:49:18 pm »

Thanks!

I was going to hunt up a wiki page for reactions in just a bit, to try and figure out why mine wasn't working yet. It's great when something just falls into your lap like that. :)

Rochndil, who WILL have his shiny green glass....
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 01:21:45 pm »

Remember, GLASS_whatever is a material token, not a matgloss.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:01:40 am »

Remember, GLASS_whatever is a material token, not a matgloss.
From what I have seen, it is both, e.g. [REAGENT:1:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_CLEAR:CLEAR_GLASS]
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 08:41:22 am »

You can use [REAGENT:1:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_CLEAR:POPSICLE_STICKS] and it will still work. Glass doesn't have matglosses.

yet.