Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scavengers on sieges  (Read 1385 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scavengers on sieges
« on: February 14, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

Though I like the realism of DF, like the fact that all possessions of a individual are dropped upon his death, this causes the problem of dealing with all this loot, when in sieges, for example. You can sell all this loot and make a tremendous profit for the caravans, thus giving no reason for you to produce goods to trade, or this itens will be cluttering your stockpiles and maybe slowing the efficiency of your fortress or even dropping the fps.
I usually just forbid all the itens, and later I dump/melt them. However, for a single siege it takes a long time to get rid of all these itens.
My sugestion:

Historically, great battles atracted scavengers, who would sold the loot as scrap metal. Sieges, and maybe ambushes, should atracted some nuisance type creatures, like kobold thieves, just as caravans do. They would steal most of these itens in a period of time, therefore if the player want the itens he should deal with them to avoid the steraling.
These itens should be damaged too, but I think this is already planned to be introduced sometime in the future.

coolguy1351

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scavengers on sieges
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »

Even if it's just a temporary increase in thieves, I agree. Seconded.

Chaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mist Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

Good idea! Makes perfect sense too.
A lurker has sprung from ambush!

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

You might wind up with extra tantrums as a side effect of this - if the scavengers make off with masterwork equipment your artisans may get irate.
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:41:25 pm by penguinofhonor »

Shadowslasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »

As long as the thieves could be smart enough to go for the easily available loot on the battlefield as opposed to loot deep in your fortress, or sitting on top of your 3 layers of iron traps.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

I like it just a bunch of kobold thieves arrive when the goblins retreat, possibly with a preference for grabbing stuff outside the gates.(maybe they treat stuff inside as 1/4th or 1/8th value.)

Of course I would be happy with just another group of kobold thieves showing up when the siege light turns off.  They seem to already grab stuff outside more often than not.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 03:43:00 am »

I usually find kobold thieves tend to bring the fortress their own clothes and weapons.  I like the idea but they'd need to have a very good chance of escaping with their lives intact!  Otherwise one dead kobold thief = another dozen items to pick up.

What I'd like to see would be weather affecting items left outside.  Left all those iron items outside in the rain?  They're rusted up to uselessness and disappear after a season.  All those narrow wombat leather leggings?  Rotten away after a season... something along those lines.

Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 04:10:00 am »

Seconded.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 04:18:00 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/story/tt_battlefield_lunch.html

I agree, we need scavengers at some point. Equipment scavengers, carrion birds, and beasts like the one in the above story could all potentially meet and fight while scouring a battlefield. This would make retrieval of friendly corpses much more difficult, of course. And more entertaining.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 04:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by John Johnston:
<STRONG>I usually find kobold thieves tend to bring the fortress their own clothes and weapons.  I like the idea but they'd need to have a very good chance of escaping with their lives intact!  Otherwise one dead kobold thief = another dozen items to pick up.

What I'd like to see would be weather affecting items left outside.  Left all those iron items outside in the rain?  They're rusted up to uselessness and disappear after a season.  All those narrow wombat leather leggings?  Rotten away after a season... something along those lines.</STRONG>

Kobold thieves drop few itens when killed. I think they carry just a copper dagger and a loincloth.

They already steal itens outside somewhat - I suggest that they appear just after the siege, in large numbers. If they could carry more than one item at once(if everybody could  :D) it would be even better.

I like your idea of weather destroying itens. Maybe after a year all the clothes would disappear - I think this is realistic enough. Leather would disappear in two years, maybe, but metal should last a long time.