Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lie to the elves!  (Read 1332 times)

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lie to the elves!
« on: February 14, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

Inspired by this thread, I had an idea... with high enough Liar skill, you should be able to lie to the elves about some of the items you're trying to trade to them!

"Those bone idols? Oh, we, uh, found the corpse rotting in the fields! Yeah, that's it, just lying there, rotting. Yup! That's where we got that skull for the totem, too. What's that? Why are those idols made of cow bone and the totem out of a dog skull? Uh... would you believe that we found a dog-headed cow corpse?"

I don't think you'd be able to convince them that the blood coverings on your steel weapons are legit (at least, not without legendary skill: "Oh, a friendly visiting goblin was helping us move that sword when he tripped and fell on it. Poor guy."), but leather, bone and shell (as a base or as decoration) should be relatively easy targets  :)

This could also be tied in with Req516: "Oh, yes, we'll take good care of those kittens!"  :)

Also, I'm not really sure which forum this would go in, so I'll just put it here, but Req571 appears to be a duplicate of Req321.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Lie to the elves!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:41:13 pm by penguinofhonor »

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>I think that the elves wouldn't want you to carve up the bones of things that died naturally either.</STRONG>

This is probably correct, they get pissy if you carve up the bones of necromantic abominations too.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »

Maybe they think the bones should return to the earth to complete the cycle of life.   :p

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

Or maybe elves just like being dicks to dwarves.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

You can never satisfy the elves since they're hell bent on being insufferable.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 10:00:00 pm »

Aww, all good points! I just thought it would be funny to lie to them to get them to take goods they normally wouldn't. Oh well  :)
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »

The elves don't really have a problem with wood and bones and such. I know this because they sell me these things. Well, maybe not the bones but I haven't been looking too closely. Anyways, the problem is that some beardy capitalist owns them. This means he is exploiting the rain forests and raping the trees. So if your dwarf can just convince them that, man, we are totally cool with the enviroment like you guys, they'd be ready to ride the peace train with you. A liberal use of "!!rope cloth!!" (hemp ropes mah boi) would help smooth things out.
Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

Actually, smoking a "hemp rope" wouldn't do anything other than make you choke a lot, as it's made of a slightly different plant than the one we all know and love.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 03:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Untelligent:
<STRONG>Actually, smoking a "hemp rope" wouldn't do anything other than make you choke a lot, as it's made of a slightly different plant than the one we all know and love.</STRONG>

Nitpick aside, I believe we're talking about a """hemp"" rope" here.

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 03:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Untelligent:
<STRONG>it's made of a slightly different plant than the one we all know and love.</STRONG>

It was just a wordplay joke.   ;)

Back on topic, it would be nice to see uses for those social skills outside of your dwarves BSing around the beer cooler. Maybe you get a little price modifier if your broker is a good conversationalist or a liar could convince a merchant that an item is of a higher quality level than it really is. Normally, merchants seem quite willing to rifle through all ten barrels full of stone trinkets you offer but with a little persuasion they might just do a quick look-over. And you could bill for a few extra items.

Nothing like convincing an Elf merchant that your bone crown is a PETA approved Crown of Superawesomeworth1,000,000-bucks-ness. Just a decent incentive to have a social able broker/leader. It might also come back to bite you in the arse later. Maybe a merchant can forget the first time it happens if you've got a wee outpost, who can remember all these Dwarfish towns anyways? But if you screw them over and over, they'll remember. And if you blow your cover, the sheep be be hard to sheer again.

[ February 18, 2008: Message edited by: Romantic Warrior ]

[ February 18, 2008: Message edited by: Romantic Warrior ]

Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 09:15:00 am »

SECONDED!  :D

"What bone? Don't ye recognize whitestoneium when ya see it?"

So says Armok, God of blood.