Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Emigration  (Read 2577 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>I didn't really read your reply in depth before.  I don't think work is that important though.  Some dwarves may be workaholics and be unhappy if they don't have work, that's a fine use of personalities...Maybe most dwarves are workaholics even, but there's surely plenty who are not.  Work, for many, is just a means to an end, and that end is GOLD.

Hmm, actually, that is a pretty interesting other angle.  People who like to be surrounded by ever-increasing wealth.  As long as the fortress keeps expanding, they are somewhat happy, as they live in a better and better place.  But even better is increasing your personal fortune and your family's fortune.  If you can't work, you can't do that, most of the time...

A very wealthy fortress with truly expert craftsmen may have a life of leisure with good food, good drinks, and mostly sitting around idle.  If you can get paid the same for a day's work in that fortress that you can for a month's work in another place, why work fulltime?  You certainly wouldn't feel compelled to leave!

Of course, that's just one angle on dwarven motives.  It seems easy enough to tie into general happiness, and actually it probably already is tied in pretty well...  So, eh.

It'd be pretty interesting if whole families immigrated/emigrated together though.  Not just father/mother/children, but grandfather, great-uncle, great-great-grandmother, the whole line.  If you had to keep grandfather happy to keep him from dragging his brood to another place, it'd be very challenging!  It would *also* be the perfect person to make into an assigned noble, and give posh quarters and well-paying, low-stress work...</STRONG>

What i think your saying is personality's. Which is a very highly contributing factor of course.

But for dwarfs, wouldn't work and alcohol come first?

A Peasant is going to want work alcohol and food.

A Noble is going to want the same but also a good room and wealth.

Each dwarf will have there own basic needs for if there going to stay in your fortress or leave.

Classes would be a nice thing to implement.

Lower, Middle and upper class.

Each class would have its own do's and don'ts for if someone will leave or stay.

But bottom line. The player who plays the game needs to be alerted in advance that someone is unhappy and going to leave if things don't change.

Does anyone disagree with this one point?

quote:
Also: The-Moon, you know, that little 'pencil on paper' icon up and to the right of your post? That's the 'edit' button. You can use it instead of making a second post.

I know. I just wanted to make a second post to point that out, otherwise i would have not double posted.

[ February 15, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Fenrir

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by The-Moon:
<STRONG>Emigration Policy....

Question: Why do dwarfs want to live in your fortress, when they can move to another one.

1:Work, if there is available work, dwarfs should be a lot less likely to leave
2:If there is not enough work, dwarfs will leave when they have not worked in a while. They will leave to find work.

These 2 factors should be the main things which effect weather Dwarfs leave or not. Dwarfs will leave if theres no work for them to do.

3:Alcohol, While alcohol is important, it should not be a single factor which makes dwarfs leave the fortress.

4:Security and Military. If the fortress is secure and there is a good military, then people would be less likely to leave. If dwarfs feel un-protective they should tell your Trader/sheriff/Head Dwarf that they will leave if something is not done.

In Fact.

When dwarfs have problems, or unhappy for any reason, it would be good for them to contact your head dwarf, and let that dwarf know(IE send you a msg) that, the dwarf is unhappy and will leave if something is not done about a certain thing that the dwarf is unhappy with.

5:This would of course be food supply.

6:Anything else which i didn't mention</STRONG>

I disagree with three and four. Alcohol is important to dwarves. It's bad enough that I have to recruit useless fortress guards to please the mayor; I don't want my dwarves packing up and leaving because we don't have carp-bait wandering the fortress and getting themselves hurt.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>I disagree with three and four. Alcohol is important to dwarves. It's bad enough that I have to recruit useless fortress guards to please the mayor; I don't want my dwarves packing up and leaving because we don't have carp-bait wandering the fortress and getting themselves hurt.</STRONG>

Well its open to debate on what comes first.

In fact, its all up to toady, i was just presenting ideas.

I just don't think it would be productive for dwarfs to sit around drinking, yet not working.

Do not dwarfs like to work?

I was under the impression dwarfs liked working.

If they have alcohol but no work. Id assume the would be unhappy, and move to another fort that has work, and alcohol?

Whatever works tho.

Does anyone know where i can go find/figure out what toady is planning for hte next update.

I rarely see him talking here with us rather then the bug reports.

I think he should be more involved with the community, Such as posting in this topic right here. This is a major issue. Don't you guys think?

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

Brain Storm...

Dwarfs have there own agenda's.

Each dwarf has its own needs and wants.

Depending on that dwarfs personility, depends apon weather he leaves or not.

Each dwarf should have there own thoughts and beliefs' is the point of this reply.

Someone may think alcohol is important first off, some might think work is.

Its up to the dwarf. Toady just needs to program it so dwarfs have personality's and those personality's work with the system.

[ February 15, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 08:42:00 pm »

There is one thing all of you are forgetting.

The danger of emigrating.
Where would they go if they emigrate?
How will they survive without food on the trip?
Will they be able to fight off the ferocious beasts of the land?
I don't think so.

There are reasons why  immigrants come in large groups and sure as hell they are not just going to waltz through the gate if they don't fancy that engraving in the dining room. That would probably equal treason to their nation who sent them in the first place to strike the earth, mine the gold, find the gems, dig the adamantine...

Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 12:08:00 am »

Yes, but at that point, the dwarf is so unhappy that they just don't care.
Pages: 1 [2]