Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floor removal  (Read 1560 times)

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
Floor removal
« on: November 07, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

I wasn't sure if this should be filed under bugs or suggestions, but considering it's simply dwarven stupidity, I'll put it here.

I currently have a base that is mostly suspended over a canyon (that is 10 stories above a river), in which I am constructing the section entirely out of walling and flooring options. After deciding to alter the shape, I decided to start removing the old walling and floors. Much to my dismay, and a half second later, amusement, I found that dwarves stand directly on the floor they are removing and upon removal plummet to their deaths. This turned out to be a minor setback, as I found I had enough dwarven children to remove the necessary flooring, but I could see how this would end up as a major annoyance.

So, in conclusion, would it be convenient to have people remove floors from an adjacent tile? The current coding seems to have it's...  pitfalls.

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floor removal
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 10:43:00 pm »

that is funny...

seconded.

Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 11:07:00 pm »

Indeed. Preferably if possible add the ability to build/deconstruct diagonally as well.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Dagonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 12:23:00 pm »

Are you sure it's their own tiles?  They are probably doing the same thing they do when they are digging channels and that is removing their neighbor's tile.
<P>The only difference between a bug and a feature is documentation.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 01:56:00 pm »

Yea, I'm sure. They move right onto the square they're removing the flooring from and then disappear out of sight. I was watching intent- er, curiously.

Stof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

I can confirm it's their own tile. I was building a somewhat fortified house above my fortress entrance (something to do with controling who got in and out of my fortress, damn goblin kid snatchers!) At one point, I found that you cannot build a wall where there are already a floor build. I removed a line of 5 floor tiles and I got 5 non mason dwarves going for the task. All of them fell to the ground one level lower, stunned and there was a neat line of stones (the stones used to make the floor) under them  :) The last dwarf fell a little later and he was all alone at that point so there was no risk it was caused by one of the others.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 05:05:00 pm »

That is correct. I removed a tile of floor to put a staircase instead, and the dwarf fell. There was blood, puke and a broken leg.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Core Xii:
<STRONG>That is correct. I removed a tile of floor to put a staircase instead, and the dwarf fell. There was blood, puke and a broken leg.</STRONG>

Luckly for my situation they simply exploded from the fall. No rescue teams needed!