Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linking world gen and start location search.  (Read 660 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Linking world gen and start location search.
« on: March 13, 2009, 12:56:07 pm »

It would be useful if there was a way for players to specify a desired start location search (using the existing search for start locations) when creating a world.  Then, each successfully created world is searched for a location that matches those parameters; if none is found, it is deleted and a new world is generated.

Obviously this could take a looong time; people would have to leave it running overnight.  But very rare, very nice/interesting start locations generated by it could then be shared among many people.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Linking world gen and start location search.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:03:20 pm »

Then they wouldn't be rare any more would they? ;)
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:04:09 pm »

Plus, stuff could be optimized for the search, keep a separate map of where the features are.

Also:  No need to run history if there isn't a site that matches your requirements.

That said, I am heartily against people throwing out world after world because they think they need magma and trees and water to have fun at the game.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:27:54 am »

That said, I am heartily against people throwing out world after world because they think they need magma and trees and water to have fun at the game.
Quoted just to underline it. A world only starts to get interesting after the 27th ruin.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:21:30 am »

Well maybe you don't like magma all that much, but some people would like to be able to find a location with everything on it.  Your personal preference should not overrule this suggestion, as you would not have to use it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 11:00:39 pm »

And anyway, nobody says you have to use it to try and get an 'ideal' location every time.  When the start location search is improved, you could use it to search for the dark evil start location with pits and freezing cold and whatever other nasty things are added in the future, or some combination like that.  In any case, it adds more options for players who want to try odd / unlikely combinations of features.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One