Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Signs.  (Read 988 times)

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Signs.
« on: November 07, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »

I haven't been playing long, but I've found that when building a sizable fortress, you soon end up with quite a lot of levers. You also end up with a number of future plans, and little details you want to make a note of, for example, where to leave a section of rock for a future channel.

What I'm suggesting is some kind of method of putting down small signs or notices, which we can refer to at a later time. It could be an object you can build in a workshop, a small wooden, stone or metal sign you can tell your dwarfs to place, or perhaps just a menu option that allows you to place and view notes that don't affect your dwarfs, but act as a reminder to you.

I could see this being especially useful in games which are played by a number of people. It would allow the players to transfer little notes about their future expansion plans or what various things do. It might also be useful if you come back to an old save of a large fortress. Blindly pulling the levers of your state of the art magma defense system to remind you how it worked will probably result in problems for the people on the lower workshop levels...

But enough dithering. I'll let you think of what it could be used for, or how it  should be implemented, and provide some feedback on what you think of the idea.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Signs.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:43:00 pm »

Grave markers would be good-especially when we can actually bury coffins.
"Here lies Mofol he wasn't to smart-went to catch fish and caught by a carp"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 12:48:00 pm »

This would indeed be useful! It would be fun to have them readable in Adventure Mode too, so you could post a sign like "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

It has also been suggested a few times already.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 03:02:00 pm »

I had a look around for similar topics, but I couldn't see anything that covered the idea of putting player viewable notes around the fortress. Perhaps I was just searching for the wrong things...

Another thing you could use it for, I guess, is putting names on local landmarks. Wouldn't serve much purpose aside from aesthetics, but some players might find it nice to name a hallway after a famous dwarf, or a local peak or lake after an event that happened there.

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

It isn't exactly what you're after, but have you tried the (h)ot key designation.  You can jump exactly to a place, and name it.  That would handle marking the veins and finding the switch boxes.

When I build, I try to use natural mapping.  For instance, if I have a room with floodgates on the four cardinal direction, my control room would have switches arranged the same way.

For multi-player games, what's wrong with keeping an out-of-game list.

But, I'll make good use of signs if it gets added.  Right over the entrance "Abandon All Booze Ye Who Trade Here!"

Rylen

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »

My current (experimental) fortress could benefit from a sign or two, particularly considering I plan to add a "self destruct" lever.
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

I'd love to have some signage.