Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Foreign Immigrants  (Read 738 times)

Zackarieth Ch'dar

Foreign Immigrants
« on: April 22, 2008, 07:50:00 am »

With the army arc coming up fast and the dwarves of Nist Akath recruiting titans and goblins I decided wouldn't it be interesting and realistic If your fortress could get migrants from other neutral/allied civilizations, for example coming to seek a better life, or fleeing a war of which the player is not part of. To facilitate this dwarves should be able to manufacture the items of other races, for example Lashers, Greatswords and narrow clothing for Elves. These migrants should still (unless they were fleeing injustice) hold some loyalty to their old nation so should work against you in various ways if you turn on the nation in question like making assassination attempts or turning on you during a siege. Or simply leaving.

They should bear the traits of their parent nation, so humans should be less reliant on alcohol of example. Finally they should give you access to the skills that dwarves do not have like using two handed weapons and bows.

What do other people think.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Foreign Immigrants
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zackarieth Ch'dar:
<STRONG>coming to seek a better life
</STRONG>

A better life ? Under a bridge, yeah.

Still, it's a nice idea. But I think being able to produce armor for them would be cumbersome, interface-wise. And they would need to have really special skills for us to allow them in our nice *ahem* well-maintained *ahem* fortresses.

Humans should have commerce related abilities. At the moment, they are the only ones to run shops (in adv mode). That could be extended to inns, and such.

As for elves, they would make good entertainers (bards, poets, arena victims). They could also be the only ones to be able to gather special plants for alchemical purposes and gather GCS silk safely.

Megabeasts : defense obviously, but they are already used for that.

Kobolds could be assassins for hire, since they already are good at sneaking unnoticed (hahahahahaha!).

Loyalty should depend on how they are treated in your fort vs. how they were treated in their civ. This way you could make them completely loyal to you, or at least, unwilling to leave your city (dwarven Ankh-Morpork ?).

Zackarieth Ch'dar

Re: Foreign Immigrants
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 08:11:00 am »

I forgot to mention that you should probably be able to turn the migrants of other nations away. The picture I get is that the dwarven ones are ordered to the fortress (who'd move to a fortress in a haunted tundra). But migrations from other nations should be coming of their own accord.