Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: caravan not heading to depot  (Read 1048 times)

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
caravan not heading to depot
« on: April 17, 2009, 06:36:17 pm »

elvish caravan is not heading to my second trade depot (part of Elf Slayer 2.0 machine). They could reach it (have ramps leading to it) but when they arrived they stood there. help me send them to their doom!
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: caravan not heading to depot
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 06:59:50 pm »

Is the Depot forbidden?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 07:00:18 pm »

do you have more than one depot?

crimsonbinome22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 07:03:53 pm »

I had something similar. I had two trade depots, one outside for the human and dwarf caravans, and another inside, through a thinner corridor for the elves so they can die trade with me.

One time a human caravan came and got stuck sitting outside my fortress, they didn't move until i desconstructed the inside trade depot, which they had apparently locked on and couldn't path to. As for the elves, one year they came to the inside trade depot and I drowned the bastards. Then the next year (after I reconstructed inside trade depot) they went straight to the outside depot so I couldn't drown them. I simply concluded that they are elves and I must be more wiley.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:32:47 am »

do you have more than one depot?
yes one in my main entrance and one in my Elf Slayer 2.0
Is the Depot forbidden?
odd it was set to dump for some reason I just removed those tags
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 03:47:28 am »

There's your problem, more than one depot confuses traders, deconstruct one of them and the problem will be solved.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 03:51:09 am »

There's your problem, more than one depot confuses traders, deconstruct one of them and the problem will be solved.
well I need the one in my main entrance so that the human and dwarven caravans can trade with me. but I have ways of controlling which Depot they go to (i.e.: retract my bridge or close my floodgates to close off my main entrance, or close the bars blocking the depot to Elf Slayer 2.0)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 09:41:29 am »

well I need the one in my main entrance so that the human and dwarven caravans can trade with me. but I have ways of controlling which Depot they go to (i.e.: retract my bridge or close my floodgates to close off my main entrance, or close the bars blocking the depot to Elf Slayer 2.0)

No, you have a way of controlling which depot they have ACCESS to. But that doesn't mean the AI will 'choose' the depot you want it to - so your two depot setup isn't going to work.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 01:52:08 pm »

Just deconstruct the outside one and not activate your drowner/boiler/whatever on the Dwarven and Human caravans. Unless its activated by pressure plates. In which case, you'll have to renovate it.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 01:57:02 pm »

If this hasn't already been suggested, just build lever-operated bars to the entrance of each Depot. Maybe you could 'steer' certain traders if you're quick enough with the levers.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 02:02:38 pm »

If this hasn't already been suggested, just build lever-operated bars to the entrance of each Depot. Maybe you could 'steer' certain traders if you're quick enough with the levers.

I'm fairly sure this won't work. Building more than one depot is rarely, if ever, favorable for the player.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 06:06:37 pm »

already done. have bars to my Elf Slayer 2.0 (which exposes elves to 'solution to everything') and my bridge/floodgates for my main one

I'm thinking that the dump tag for the second one had something to do with it will experiment with it (will try forbidding one depot when the season changes and watch what happens)

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 07:31:19 pm »

the dwarven civ has just discovered the secret of:

managing multiple trade depots!

uses: luring elves to their doom, preventing the human and dwarfish caravans from going to their doom.